• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Harris M7200

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisasterGuy

I am pretty sure that the M7200, like the M7300, is programmed with a straight serial cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jim202

I am pretty sure that the M7200, like the M7300, is programmed with a straight serial cable.

Yup, use a normal RS-232 serial cable between the radio and computer. With most of the new computers on the market today not having serial ports, you might have to fight with a serial to USB adapter. I have been lucky and save the older computers with serial ports so I don't get caught in this trap.

LMR_Dude

I think Harris recommends a Seagate USB to serial adapter if no serial port is available.

The M7200 comes with an octpus cable p/n 1000022242-0001 Rev B needed to break out the serial port however.

You can program the control head directly with the DB-9 connector on the back. I DO NOT recommend programming the control head from the MRU via the CAN cable.

Last edited:

DisasterGuy

I forgot that the M7200 is a bid of an odd bird when it comes to this. I was thinking of the M7300 in terms of having a direct serial port. With the M7200 the serial port needs to be broken out from a DB44 pigtail. There are two options here. A full IO cable and a simple programming cable. I have included an attachment showing both.

Available here: https://store.newlondontechnology.com/index.php?productID=100120083

Attachments

• M7200.jpg
    M7200.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 1,202
Last edited:

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Is it one of the ones on ebay?

If so, do not be surprised if the radio is unusable. So far the few that have been evaluated and discussed here have all had either just the test app in them or are flashed only for OpenSky, and thus are useless unless you run an OpenSky system.

If this is the case, there will be no way to change it to ECP code in the field. (Edacs, Conventional, P25) It'd have to go back to Harris in Lynchburg and they'll charge you 450 dollars just to look at it,
plus charge you for any features you purchase.

And they won't deal with an individual. They don't do business with anyone who doesn't have a customer agreement with Harris. You'd have to get an authorized Harris dealership to handle the deal for you.

But the accessories are good, and can be used as a remote mount kit for an M5300 or M7300.

At 400 dollars for the whole radio system, it's a good price for the accessories even if the radio turns out to be useless.

I have two of those useless radios sitting in my junk pile. Anybody who wants them can have them, just pay shipping. But I kept the accessories and remote mounted my M5300 with them.

DisasterGuy

Elroy, wouldn't it be possible to just upgrade the feature encryption, install the ECP Boot App and Burn App and be online?

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
No. According to my exhaustive battle with Harris (and a dealership involved) in trying to get that piece of junk into a usable state, An M7200 without ECP code is a special case that can't BE loaded with ECP code in the field. Bootapp, Burnapp, etc won't touch it and in fact the PC won't even recognize the existence of the radio on the other end of the correct programming cable.

Harris can reflash it at Lynchburg but it's gonna cost!

As I understand it, it's ONLY the M7200 that is this special case. You would have better success (as
I have been told) if the radio was an Mx300 series unit.

Consider those ebay M7200 radio kits to be reasonably priced accessory kits with a free junk radio unit
that is worth about a dollar in scrap aluminum.

to2way

Premium Subscriber
How does one tell an M7200 control head its now an M7300? Done via the DB-9 on the head I am told. With hyper-terminal or ?

DisasterGuy

Indeed a true statement. I swap heads (older Orion/725m/M7100) and 721 heads (7200/7300/100m) heads around quite a bit without ever touching the head.

to2way

Premium Subscriber
thanks guys!

So can I use an M7200 SYSTEM remt head (from the eBay ones) on an M7300 dash mt SCAN radio to make a remote mt M7300 SYSTEM package?

DisasterGuy

Yes. You will need the blank cover, Remote control head, CAN cable and control head power cord from the 7200. Remove the control head from the 7300 and replace with the cover from the 7300.

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
Not necessary.

I left the control head on my M5300 dash mount unit and simply connected the extra CH721 head to the radio via the provided CAN cable. It is a dual head installation with only the remote head being used.

It's fine. It works perfectly. There is NO need to remove the head from the radio chassis if you have
another head to use with the radio remotely.

The only thing to remember is that you will want to leave the power switched OFF on the head that's attached to the radio unit. If EITHER control head is turned on, the radio is on. So leave the one off that you won't be using.

mtbkr1973

M7200 useless bricks

Is it one of the ones on ebay?

If so, do not be surprised if the radio is unusable. So far the few that have been evaluated and discussed here have all had either just the test app in them or are flashed only for OpenSky, and thus are useless unless you run an OpenSky system.

If this is the case, there will be no way to change it to ECP code in the field. (Edacs, Conventional, P25) It'd have to go back to Harris in Lynchburg and they'll charge you 450 dollars just to look at it,
plus charge you for any features you purchase.

And they won't deal with an individual. They don't do business with anyone who doesn't have a customer agreement with Harris. You'd have to get an authorized Harris dealership to handle the deal for you.

But the accessories are good, and can be used as a remote mount kit for an M5300 or M7300.

At 400 dollars for the whole radio system, it's a good price for the accessories even if the radio turns out to be useless.

I have two of those useless radios sitting in my junk pile. Anybody who wants them can have them, just pay shipping. But I kept the accessories and remote mounted my M5300 with them.

I'll take you up on those two M7200 bricks if you still have them!

Status
Not open for further replies.