BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Harris P25 Phase 2 System?

Status
Not open for further replies.

djshadowxm81

Premium Subscriber
I'm looking to possibly pick up a used BCD436HP at a reasonable price. I recently got a Whistler TRX-1 and it doesn't seem to see the control channel. I'm pretty well versed in the p25 protocol and the tech behind it. I've been using a custom build of OP25 for quite some time to monitor the system. But i'm tired of using audio piped out of a virtual machine to my phone to hear whats going on. I do know that my system here. https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=4518 is using a Harris P25 system and it is an LSM system. Now, I know there are some issues concerning multi path distortion with the unit but that seems to be just most scanners, I don't see this issue with op25 and im also practically right under a simulcast tower anyway so the path distortion would be unlikely. So at this point, I'm really looking to make an informed decision, and I need to do it relatively quick as this deal isn't gonna stick around.

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
The only receiver that is set up for linear simulcast is a Unication G series.. The SDS100/200 come close but can't quite catch the Unication units.

djshadowxm81

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, not exactly the answer I was looking for lol. I wanted a G5 but I just don't know if I can spring for it right now. I just bought this TRX-1 on a whim and it stupid, it picks up Dauphin, and Lancaster with no problems but their also phase 1 systems still and not LSM. I just can't even see the control channel. I hear it clear as day but isn't decoding anything or seeing it as one. So I'm probably out of money for this radio. I was looking at maybe trading + a bit of cash to another friend for a relatively new BCD436HP but I wanted to do some research first to see if it will even work in the slightest bit. I'm okay if I miss here or there some of the calls but this current situation i'm not even hearing anything.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
If the only issue is simulcast (LSM), then the SDSx00's are at a par with the G5. If there are other issues (dense RF environment or other interfering signals), then G5 might work better.

djshadowxm81

Premium Subscriber
Like I said I have a Trx-1 now thats sees the control channel (pegs the meter) it just doesn't decode anything thinking its a control channel. I'm close enough to a cell site and far enough away that is not gonna overload the front end also i'm relatively far away from another cell site of the simulcast system. I'm not overtly worried about simulcast distortion. I just want to be able to at least hear SOMETHING. rather than it just hunt for the control channels and was just seeing if the BCD436HP will at least get me that far. SDS100 and G5 are out of my price range at the moment and are just not an option unfortunately.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
A G4 would work as well. Will be a bit cheaper then a G5.
I have used my BCD436 on many simulcast systems with great success.

djshadowxm81

Premium Subscriber
The problem with the G4 is I need to be able to listen to a t-band system as well as a 700mhz system as well so that's why i'm looking for a middle of the road solution. If someone can give me some sense of certainty that this should work as a get me by radio till I have the funds to get a G5 then ill flip the 436 to someone else.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Ah i see. The system you posted a link for is 700 and didnt know you had a need for UHF Hi. sorry.
Just remember if you get a Unication its a great receiver but a poor scanner. Takes a lot of fore thought to make sure you program it how you want it to behave and be happy with. I have had a G4 for years and it took me a while to get it programmed for my liking. But its well worth it. I still keep a 436 handy and use one daily for on the fly stuff, DMR and searching for new TG.

djshadowxm81

Premium Subscriber
I mainly just listen to a select talkgroup anyway so g4/g5 is perfect for my liking anyway, its just slightly out of my price range at the moment.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
The only receiver that is set up for linear simulcast is a Unication G series.. The SDS100/200 come close but can't quite catch the Unication units.

Incorrect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Incorrect

Ah well there you have it. a simple non helpful incorrect with no correction or additional information. LOL
Im guessing but maybe he means the APX, KNG/KNG2, some Kenwood line of radios can also decode LSM. Scanner wise the SDS100/200 have the hardware to decode it properly.
Maybe WX4JCW will follow up with how that statement is incorrect.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
Ah well there you have it. a simple non helpful incorrect with no correction or additional information. LOL
Im guessing but maybe he means the APX, KNG/KNG2, some Kenwood line of radios can also decode LSM. Scanner wise the SDS100/200 have the hardware to decode it properly.
Maybe WX4JCW will follow up with how that statement is incorrect.

Well since you asked so eloquently, sure I’ll answer, the comment that I was answering was that the SDS series was not as good as a Unication and the statement that the unication was the only radio set up to do LSM, I have owned both, especially with the latest firmware the SDS is on par with Unication, it also keeps up with my XTS5000 on LSM systems, tested across the country on multiple systems, they are all great radios and have their advantages and disadvantages, the system radios and Unications main disadvantages are really the amount of hoops you have to go through to program them, so to say the performance is not on par is not accurate I.e incorrect

Last edited:

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
I'll give you another admittedly anecdotal opinion. I've had my G5 for 2 1/2 years and commute with it every day, so I'm quite familiar with its p25 prowess. My SDS200 performs equally well on the same simulcast p25 system. In fact I did my first road trip with the SDS last weekend curious to see if it could hold its own while mobile. Using a cheap mag-mount antenna I was pleasantly surprised to find it did not miss a beat until I was 25 miles from the nearest tower of that system, when it finally sputtered briefly then dropped reception entirely as I drove into some foothills. And get this - it mustered that performance with the Attenuator enabled! I had simply forgotten to disable it before my trip and didn't notice it was turned on until later. Needless to say I was quite impressed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.