Harris scanning Pinellas/Hillsborough County missing transmissions

alex4659

Admin:
Let me start off by saying that I hope this thread hasn't already been posted and if it has, please direct me there.

Now for my issue:

I have a Harris XG 75P that I have set up to scan Hillsborourgh and Pinellas counties, including various municipalities FD/EMS, SO, PD etc.

While scanning Pinellas Co, the radio will receive a partially completed transmission. Sometimes, it'll be several seconds and upwards to a minute (rarely) before I hear anything else.

Mind you, I'm scanning ALL Pinellas County municipalities in this group.

If I change the channel and change back, a lot of the times, I'll begin to here active transmissions.

Tampa (both EDACS and P25) and Clearwater PD will experience the same problems with additional issue, there will be times for several minutes where there will no ZERO activity for several minutes. Mainly between 11:30pm - 4am. If I switch from Tampa EDACS to P25, the system will be very active for several seconds then go quiet. Then I switch back to the other system, which is active for the same amount of time (for several seconds/minutes) and then again, goes quiet.

I have SDK and DSD and I everything on the RR data base is programmed in so I am rather unsure why I am experiencing these issues.

From what I was told, Harris radios scan the control channels so I would "assume" this is why I'm receiving partial transmissions but I feel like I'm missing something (or added something incorrectly) in RPM.

I've tried everything I've could to resolve this issue with no luck.

Side notes:
-CC is not displaying on the screen but the radio does emit a "boop" on occasion. What does the boop mean and is this relevant to my issue?
-The systems are are simulcast.

Any feedback/help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Alex

pandel

Are you still scanning the EDACS system in Hillsborough County? That system is basically silent/dead. They have transitioned to 700 P25 PII. Your radio maybe bogging down trying to scan too many frequencies/talk groups/systems? Have you tried to limit yourself to only ONE system or talk group as a test to see if the problem continues?
Additionally, where are you located, Hillsborough or Pinellas? Is this a new problem? Were you receiving these systems without difficulty before? If so, when did the problem start?

More information will help.

zlandmedia

not that florida man
Are you still scanning the EDACS system in Hillsborough County? That system is basically silent/dead
The system is far from dead. Several agencies still operate on it, and all of the Tampa traffic still broadcasts out over it.

Another thing to note is that the control channels hop on both the Hillsborough EDACS and P25 systems. You would want to make sure all frequencies are programmed in.

pandel

Sorry for the misinformation. I made an assumption we were only talking about public safety.

alex4659

The system is far from dead. Several agencies still operate on it, and all of the Tampa traffic still broadcasts out over it.

Another thing to note is that the control channels hop on both the Hillsborough EDACS and P25 systems. You would want to make sure all frequencies are programmed in.
I appreciate this information.

Do you mean plug in both West/East system control channels?

Thanks,
Alex

Last edited:

alex4659

Are you still scanning the EDACS system in Hillsborough County? That system is basically silent/dead. They have transitioned to 700 P25 PII. Your radio maybe bogging down trying to scan too many frequencies/talk groups/systems? Have you tried to limit yourself to only ONE system or talk group as a test to see if the problem continues?
Additionally, where are you located, Hillsborough or Pinellas? Is this a new problem? Were you receiving these systems without difficulty before? If so, when did the problem start?

More information will help.
Im located in Pinellas.

The problems have started around early this year/late last year from what I can remember.

alex4659

Someone had mentioned to me that my radio might need to be tuned.

Does anyone have any feedback on that?

alex4659

Something else I forgot to mention: for Pinellas County, I only have site 5 programmed.

junior71

Something else I forgot to mention: for Pinellas County, I only have site 5 programmed.
If you’re listening to public safety all you need is site 5 in Pinellas. I have several XL-200’s and APX8000’s and they all work fine on both system from here in Pinellas. It may be user/programmer error causing the problem.

alex4659

If you’re listening to public safety all you need is site 5 in Pinellas. I have several XL-200’s and APX8000’s and they all work fine on both system from here in Pinellas. It may be user/programmer error causing the problem.
Depending on what version of RPM you have, can I send you my codeplug to see what I'm missing?

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
In my experience, any error in the trunked frequency list for an EDACS system will cause missed calls. But not every time. Triple check your trunked frequency sets. And are you SURE that the system didn't have changes made to its trunked frequency set?

I'm as confident as can be that my trunked sets are correct, as they were acquired by reading actual authorized system radios, but sometimes, scanning with ANY of my Harris radios (XG-75, P7100, XL-185, P7300) will lead to some missed transmisions.

Keep in mind, these are not designed to be scanners as their primary functions. It's entirely possible that on their best day, they don't catch calls as effectively and reliably when scanning as a purpose-built scanner.

junior71

In my experience, any error in the trunked frequency list for an EDACS system will cause missed calls. But not every time. Triple check your trunked frequency sets. And are you SURE that the system didn't have changes made to its trunked frequency set?

I'm as confident as can be that my trunked sets are correct, as they were acquired by reading actual authorized system radios, but sometimes, scanning with ANY of my Harris radios (XG-75, P7100, XL-185, P7300) will lead to some missed transmisions.

Keep in mind, these are not designed to be scanners as their primary functions. It's entirely possible that on their best day, they don't catch calls as effectively and reliably when scanning as a purpose-built scanner.
I beg to differ my XL-200’s and APX’s miss nothing. I’ve set them next to affiliate radios at the station. Not a transmission missed.

junior71

Be aware I'm referring only to scanning EDACS systems. Obviously I'm not going to use an APX to scan THAT. (If I even had an APX....)
My bad Elroy. Hell affiliating radios miss half the transmissions on EDACS. You’re right on.