Harris wins award

Status
Not open for further replies.

brey1234

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Look at the following: Harris wins an award but not for any of it's "secure" systems such as Open Sky.

The Unity XG-100 supports digital APCO P25 secure and analog FM communications across VHF, UHF, 700 MHz and 800 MHz public safety bands in a single portable radio. Its capabilities enable first responders to use a single radio
http://tinyurl.com/yzz9x48

ResQguy

Meh
Premium Subscriber
How do you win an award for a product that isn't even in production yet?

N

N_Jay

Very slick looking radio! Much better than big M's APX7000 IMO...

Have you seen both up close?

Seriously? If you sat the APX and that thing side-by-side without labels, I wouldn't be able to tell them apart.

No way. They are VERY different.

The Unity looks a lot like the Liberty, but the APX is very different in size and looks.

ProducerGuy

One thing not yet mentioned, is that (at least for the moment) the APX apparently requires an antenna change to be able to work all 3 ranges, where the Harris does not. To me, the Harris is a much more well thought-out design, where the APX looks like something out of a multitester catalog cross-bred with most any power tool. All that's missing are the test leads, LOL.

Plus, the Harris can hold ten "mission files" on-board, for a total of 12,500 channels, with one mission file live-at-a-time, where the APX does not. Dunno if I'd ever use that many channels, but it's nice to know they're there if and/or when I DO need them. One thing I'd like to know, is whether the Harris is FPP or not. It would be nice if it is !!!

I see the Harris Unity as being what Motorola SHOULD HAVE built when designing the XTS line. I also appreciate the software addressable attitude of the Harris, where I don't see the same in the Motorola.

Were money no object, the Harris Unity XG-100, AND the RF-1033M would be in my collection in a second. With just two models, Harris walked all over Motorola.

Last edited:
N

N_Jay

I doubt anyone who has actually used both radios holds such low opinion of the APX (Except maybe a Harris employee).
They are both very nice radios, but they are also very different.
The Unity is much closer to the Liberty in form, and function.
They are both wide-band designs, they are both "traditional" size (Think XTS 5000, etc)

They APX is definitely a "Dual-Band" design. I am sure this was done to assure a level of RF specifications that a wide band design probably can't meet.
Physically, it is much closer to a Saber is size. It is very slick compared to the more traditional look of the other two. It is also louder. (and I think clearer, but that is an opinion, and I did not have them in hand side by side).

Which design is "better" is for the market to decide. Both have advantages and disadvantages.

Status
Not open for further replies.