• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Harris XL-200 on a Motorola Type 2 smartzone network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuitSat

Anybody remember the rumored Motorola radio that would work on an EDACS system? I heard the Navy SEALS had them, apparently so they could use the EDACS HYDRA systems found on many Naval ships. :rolleyes:
Ah ! The "legendary" (as in Urban Legend) SP Astro Saber with Fascinator & EDACS !
That rumor is at least 20-25 years old now... (beaten dead horse is beaten...and dead)

Speaking of Hydra radios, I do have one (I'm also a collector, so having "less than useful" radios is not a problem :whistle:)
Mine is a M-PA & served aboard USS Enterprise [CVN65] (was used by catapult officers; we call them "chien jaune = yellow dog" here :cool:) . Still have the original box and manual...

As Military systems tend to have a long "lifetime", Hydra architecture was first used with M-PA, then transitioned to M-RK, and the last time I checked they were using P7100...

IIRC, several modifications were made between a "below-deck" Hydra handheld and a "flight-deck" Hydra handheld.... (noise limiting circuitry & special EMC shielding in the UDC connector for the flight-deck one IIRC...)
And of course all the over modifications between an Hydra & Non-Hydra radio...

As a short summary : 100mW, EDACS, AEGIS and encryption capable (DES), FM (IS) for the one I have...
The box state "NAVY EDACS 403 SEL" for 403-423 MHz, but in reality the 100mW modded board is a special 403-440 MHz board, not just 403-423 like the standard UHF RF board...
IIRC the radio can switch between 20 & 100mW...
Theses Hydra systems were 406-420, then they added the 380-400 MHz band...

Ericsson sold several of theses systems where I live, locally we call them SyRTE, and it is still used today (with M-RK II) aboard modern frigates...

I do have more infos, but I remember that you disliked speaking with foreigners last time we had a conversation, so I’ll leave it at that...

Or the 800 MHz ASTRO Saber that could receive iDEN with the LAPD VSELP flash.
I do respect KevinC a lot, and I'm curious to see His/KE4ZNR firmware, but IMHO that story was Bull****.

iDEN (MiRS) is (M)16-QAM IIRC, with 6:1 TDMA (there's no way a AS can handle that)

Also, there's a lot of different VSELP vocoder "versions" (as there's also a lot of IMBE vocoder "versions", like the 7200 vs 7100 bps of P25 vs ProVoice, for exemple...)
I'm pretty sure the 30ms frame at 126 bit per frame version (among others) of iDEN was not compatible with "ASTRO VSELP" as used in the Astro Saber...

Feel free to correct me though (with proof please) as I will be delighted to see this possible, I do like a well done PoC in radio ;-)

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Ah ! The "legendary" (as in Urban Legend) SP Astro Saber with Fascinator & EDACS !
That rumor is at least 20-25 years old now... (beaten dead horse is beaten...and dead)

Speaking of Hydra radios, I do have one (I'm also a collector, so having "less than useful" radios is not a problem :whistle:)
Mine is a M-PA & served aboard USS Enterprise [CVN65] (was used by catapult officers; we call them "chien jaune = yellow dog" here :cool:) . Still have the original box and manual...

As Military systems tend to have a long "lifetime", Hydra architecture was first used with M-PA, then transitioned to M-RK, and the last time I checked they were using P7100...

IIRC, several modifications were made between a "below-deck" Hydra handheld and a "flight-deck" Hydra handheld.... (noise limiting circuitry & special EMC shielding in the UDC connector for the flight-deck one IIRC...)
And of course all the over modifications between an Hydra & Non-Hydra radio...

As a short summary : 100mW, EDACS, AEGIS and encryption capable (DES), FM (IS) for the one I have...
The box state "NAVY EDACS 403 SEL" for 403-423 MHz, but in reality the 100mW modded board is a special 403-440 MHz board, not just 403-423 like the standard UHF RF board...
IIRC the radio can switch between 20 & 100mW...
Theses Hydra systems were 406-420, then they added the 380-400 MHz band...

Ericsson sold several of theses systems where I live, locally we call them SyRTE, and it is still used today (with M-RK II) aboard modern frigates...

I do have more infos, but I remember that you disliked speaking with foreigners last time we had a conversation, so I’ll leave it at that...

I do respect KevinC a lot, and I'm curious to see His/KE4ZNR firmware, but IMHO that story was Bull****.

iDEN (MiRS) is (M)16-QAM IIRC, with 6:1 TDMA (there's no way a AS can handle that)

Also, there's a lot of different VSELP vocoder "versions" (as there's also a lot of IMBE vocoder "versions", like the 7200 vs 7100 bps of P25 vs ProVoice, for exemple...)
I'm pretty sure the 30ms frame at 126 bit per frame version (among others) of iDEN was not compatible with "ASTRO VSELP" as used in the Astro Saber...

Feel free to correct me though (with proof please) as I will be delighted to see this possible, I do like a well done PoC in radio ;-)
The iDEN comment was a joke.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Near as I can tell, the 6:1 TDMA system Motorola developed in the early 80s, originally called MURS during the prototyping phase, became IDEN. I was at a comms trade show in the 80s and the Moto booth was giving out "birthday cards" with a digital voice generator advertising the clarity of digital voice via MURS. Wish I still had it. It'd be kind of collectible.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I have several of them. Me and @KE4ZNR worked on the FW.

:)

I miss iDEN. I really do miss it. I miss the Condor/Falcon lines....those were the real glory days for Nextel. Being assigned an i60c with unlimited cell/DC then upgrading to an i95CL then an i730. Even had an i860 for a bit.

Even though my Pixel 7 Pro is a hundred times more powerful than any Nextel phone I ever had it was more fun hacking Nextel with RSS & webjal and patches. IdenInsiders/NextelModz/HoFo were the places to be.

Thanks for the trip back @KevinC !

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Near as I can tell, the 6:1 TDMA system Motorola developed in the early 80s, originally called MURS during the prototyping phase, became IDEN. I was at a comms trade show in the 80s and the Moto booth was giving out "birthday cards" with a digital voice generator advertising the clarity of digital voice via MURS. Wish I still had it. It'd be kind of collectible.

That seems to be correct. I was at Nextel during the middle/end of the Condor line of phones well into the Falcon line.
Still have some of the Iden Documentation somewhere. Rumor has it that copies of Lab RSS made it out into the wild which allowed someone to switch between the sanitized "Safe" RSS to the unencrypted hex codeplug which allowed one to edit pretty much anything one wanted.
So much fun back then.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
It’s MIRS.

Attachments

• DD0DDE37-DB8C-4F13-90B6-B4A08B22CDFE.png
    DD0DDE37-DB8C-4F13-90B6-B4A08B22CDFE.png
    169.3 KB · Views: 18

d119

Can you help me program my radio? Will you provide me with support?

Your ego precedes you, Maxwell Nyquist. You and com501 are two peas in a pod.

Back to my R2660

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
So, who left the gate open? Not even sure what that was about. :unsure:

Whatever...I guess I now have a reason to explore the usage of the "ignore an idiot" button. If we even have one. Honestly I never even bothered to look for it until now. Never had a reason to.

Status
Not open for further replies.