• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Harris XL-200 programming from keypad

ma8007

Premium Subscriber
I finally got my vhf/uhf upgrade through Harris and can’t figure out how to program conventional frequencies via keypad..Where in the radio menu do I go to do this?
Thanks

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber
Select the channel you want to edit. Make sure scan is disabled.

Press the left arrow on the keypad from the Home Screen to get to the channel info screen. Edit should appear at the bottom right corner of the channel info screen.

When you press edit, you will need to enter the pin you set up in the loaded mission plan.

Remember that you cannot create new channels from the keypad on any Harris product. If you plan to do a lot of FPP, you will want to create a number of dummy channels in a given system so that there are channels available to modify from the front panel.

The only thing you cannot control is the bandwidth, so if you need to enter narrowband and wideband channels, make sure to set some dummy channels of each bandwidth in RPM before loading the plan.

-B

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber
So you may need to adjust the supervisory options of that mission plan.

I’m not in front of RPM, but I think thats where you set those permissions. I’ve also never NOT been able to get to the channel info, so I’d have to do some experimenting to see how to prevent that access…

I’ll take a look when I’m near RPM.

-B

You'll also need to have a pin set in order for it to show the "edit" function. Without the pin, it'll not let you edit anything.

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber
You'll also need to have a pin set in order for it to show the "edit" function. Without the pin, it'll not let you edit anything.
Ha! That must be why I’ve always had the edit button! I’ve never loaded a mission plan without pins set for all functions… thanks!!!

-B

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
XL-Radio options (bottom of the options list) in RPM… there is a Channel Edit Password. Set that… I also set a Maintenance Password (to something different).

-B

Sort of unrelated...

I just got tossed in the the L3Harris world a few months ago. I've got a project kicking up to refresh our radio system, and I've already started purchasing new mobiles/portables. I've got a line item in the project budget for an all expense paid trip to downtown L3Harris Training Land.

Meantime, I've been doing the trial and error learning. That and the 1¢ (waived under our contract) NIFOG preload.

I'd struggled with the FPP function, but hadn't been able to spend much time troubleshooting it. Thanks to this post, I now have FPP on my radios, Thanks to @BMDaug

Now I just need to get a DTMF mic for the mobiles.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your knowledge, I really appreciate it. We've got a sergeant who's a ham, and he's going to enjoy having the ability to run 2 meters AND 70 centimeters. When he's on break, of course….

nikronzo

As a side note, anyone with an XL portable can do FPP, regardless of half or full keypad, which is very neat.
Naturally, having the full dtmf pad makes it worlds easier, but the fact that it's still possible with the limited keypad is a great function built into the XL portable line.

Of course, if one desires, you can cough up the cash for a full keypad front housing and just throw it on and the radio will recognize it. No depot tools or hacking internal DSPs needed!

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
I haven't found it so maybe it doesn't exist but I'd like for there to be an option where I have to log in on the radio on power-up or it remains locked and unusable. Yes I know that exists for P25 but I mean for other modes. A power-on password.

I think that'd be a good option for all high tier radios. With an "erase personality or delete firmware on X login failures" option as well, for system and user security.

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber
I haven't found it so maybe it doesn't exist but I'd like for there to be an option where I have to log in on the radio on power-up or it remains locked and unusable. Yes I know that exists for P25 but I mean for other modes. A power-on password.

I think that'd be a good option for all high tier radios. With an "erase personality or delete firmware on X login failures" option as well, for system and user security.
It’s under power up options. You can set a pin and optionally set the radio to zeroize all keys and plans after a particular number of failed pin entry attempts.

-B

mancow

Database Admin

That's how my 100p is setup. It's a nice bit of peace of mind.