• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Harris XL-200 programming from keypad

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Right now I've got a bigger problem. I was experimenting with stealth mode and now the radio's front keypad and display are dead. I can see the display working if I shine a flashlight at it, but ONLY during the power-up sequence. Top display still works but without LED backlighting. PTT still works, no other button does. ABCD rotary still works, channel selector still works, volume still works, but I can't change systems. Keypad is dead. I can't even put it into wifi programming mode. Yet it still receives.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I think I posted this over on the other site.

There's a sequence you do with the navigation pad, I think it's described in RPM2.

Something like Left/Right/Up/Down, but it's a bit more complex than that. I sent it up on one of my test radios, turned it on, and took me a while to get back out. I removed it from the programming after that.

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber
Cool. My radio only has a limited keypad. I'm assuming it will provide the virtual keypad automatically if I enable this feature?
It should pop the virtual keypad…

As far as the stealth mode goes, if you have both backlights set to momentary (off), it’s also possible that the keypad is locked. Try Left,Right,Up,Down and see if that unlocks it.

-B

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber
I stumbled upon the correct sequence totally by accident. And immediately removed stealth from the button functions.
L,R,U,D is the keypad unlock sequence. The radio will say STEALTH on the top display when in stealth mode. I have soft key two set for stealth mode and that button will toggle in and out of stealth no problem.

-B

TDR-94

I haven't found it so maybe it doesn't exist but I'd like for there to be an option where I have to log in on the radio on power-up or it remains locked and unusable. Yes I know that exists for P25 but I mean for other modes. A power-on password.

I think that'd be a good option for all high tier radios. With an "erase personality or delete firmware on X login failures" option as well, for system and user security.
The PowerUp PIN has been available since the introduction of the P7200. I'm surprised you never noticed it before.

Last edited:

TDR-94

That's how my 100p is setup. It's a nice bit of peace of mind.
I would advise against using the PowerUp PIN with the XG-100P. Only because of the fact that it will only help accelerate the unresponsiveness of the keypad and make it frustrating to use. The keypads on these are s**t!

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Never bothered with the 7200. And I haven't been that active and trading radios too often over the last decade. I went from the 7100 to the 7300 and only recently got an XG-75P, followed almost immediately by the XL-185. And all were limited keypad models.