• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Harris XL200 Wifi programming?

ma8007

Premium Subscriber
I purchased a xl200p used and it still has the programming in it from the company that used it..I'm trying to program it(RPM2) wirelessly(Don't have Programming cable ) No BT option in setting.So trying to do it via WIFI.Manual is confusing on wifi setup.Can someone please explain how I would set up the radio for WIFI programming.(Windows 11 OS) Or do I need the Programming cable because it has not been factory reset.
THANKS

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber
I purchased a xl200p used and it still has the programming in it from the company that used it..I'm trying to program it(RPM2) wirelessly(Don't have Programming cable ) No BT option in setting.So trying to do it via WIFI.Manual is confusing on wifi setup.Can someone please explain how I would set up the radio for WIFI programming.(Windows 11 OS) Or do I need the Programming cable because it has not been factory reset.
THANKS
You’ll need the cable for initial setup… not because you need to do a reset or anything, but because you need to use RPM to program the Wi-Fi network you will be using for programming. Once you have a working mission plan that includes your Wi-Fi network, you can ditch the cable.

-B

nikronzo

also wanna double check wifi is enabled in your feature set, otherwise you are stuck using a programming cable.

Having a programming cable is important because it serves purpose more than just programming, firmware upgrades, encryption packages and so on are important

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Either that, or you change your network SSID to match the default Harris one (which I can't recall off the top of my head, but I think it's in the help section of RPM2)

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
I'm in the same situation. Just got a brand new XL185 in the factory default configuration. Going to need to get a programming cable to enable wifi programming. Once I have that, I will never need it again. Wish I could just borrow one.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Have you tried connecting using the default WiFi values? I used an old wifi router that I had kicking around when I first got my 200P. Turned off the wifi in my laptop and connected the router via ethernet w/DHCP. Configured the router to the default Harris settings:
SSID: harrisradios
PSK: password
Security Mode: WPA

Booted the radio into wifi mode and it connected right away. Read it with RPM2, changed to my wifi values and off to the races.

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber
I'm in the same situation. Just got a brand new XL185 in the factory default configuration. Going to need to get a programming cable to enable wifi programming. Once I have that, I will never need it again. Wish I could just borrow one.
You won’t be able to write off the cable completely… key loading with Harris KeyManager will still require it and I’ve never done a firmware update over Wi-Fi.

@Forts That should also work as long as it’s truly a stock, unmolested radio. Great idea!!

-B

nikronzo

correct, any keyloading is going to need a cable, and while you can do everything over wifi including programming, firmware code, voice announcements, & user profiles (can't do Radio event logging). I would not trust a firmware/secure code update over anything but a hardwired programming cable.

The Harris XL cable is the same thing for 100P, 200P, 185P, 150P, and 400P so it's a great tool to have when you need it.

smackdaddy

On my XL-200P, it appears to be possible to manually add another Wifi SSID from the keypad. Boot it up in Wifi programming mode (hold down the side bottom button + PTT while powering it on). Then press the Select button and you can manually enter the details.

Cheers,
SD.

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
I've reconfigured my wifi access point, created a simple name and password, entered the SSID and password in the XL185 via the above method, enabled wifi programming in RPM2, and so far, have not seen the radio appear yet. I'm sure I'll eventually get it sorted out. I know it will work when I stop making errors. If I knew what errors they are...

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber
I've reconfigured my wifi access point, created a simple name and password, entered the SSID and password in the XL185 via the above method, enabled wifi programming in RPM2, and so far, have not seen the radio appear yet. I'm sure I'll eventually get it sorted out. I know it will work when I stop making errors. If I knew what errors they are...
What does it say on the Wi-Fi programming screen? If it says No IP, it’s found the network and the SSID and password are correct, and if it displays an IP, it’s fully connected and trying to find RPM. If, at this point, the radio is still not seen by RPM, this may mean that mDNS is not enabled or properly set up in the router/AP. There are other settings Harris recommends as well, depending on the network type and setup. The manual (available on the L3H site, no login required) is very useful for properly configuring Wi-Fi settings.

-B

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
I have other network issues in play that I need to sort out, and will be replacing my old Apple Airport Extreme which has some issues. It works but gives errors that won't resolve. And my cable modem is ancient and going to be replaced this week. So with some fresh hardware to install, I'll do that first and then worry about the radio.

lbd1123

Premium Subscriber
I'll buy the cable when your done with it. PM me

IFRIED91

Arrive alive
Premium Subscriber
One thing to note.. the cable is absolutely required and be ready for a sticker shocker.. I saw one version going for $300 I assume it can be used for programming and other applications

IFRIED91

Arrive alive
Premium Subscriber
One more thing to add regarding Wi-Fi programming… DO NOT use your router which was provided by your ISP.. they almost never allow mDNS due to the increased security risk.. I got off the phone with Verizon and confirmed this for their Fios set up… also avoid Cisco routers/hubs/switches as they also are pain in the rear end to configure correctly

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
I checked the cost of the cable. I can get one for a very fair price.

Ideally, I want to be able to use a laptop to program radios with no physical connection. Not sure if the wifi of any laptop can be configured in such a manner, or not. IT is really NOT my thing. Once I get it working, I set it and forget it.