• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Harris XL200 Wifi programming?

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
I was able to find the radio data screens after some exploration, and found the features list, but haven't found the radio's feature string anywhere yet. Is that something that's going to have to be revealed by the radio maintenance utility or add a programmable menu to the radio?

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber
I was able to find the radio data screens after some exploration, and found the features list, but haven't found the radio's feature string anywhere yet. Is that something that's going to have to be revealed by the radio maintenance utility or add a programmable menu to the radio?
There is no feature string… XL series introduced a new feature encryption process which involves an encrypted XML file. There is no way to read that file out.

-B

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
So what's the process for ordering an upgrade now? Currently I give my dealer the radio model number, ESN, and existing string for verification.

How do I generate that xml file and does it go to the dealer or direct to Harris or what?

I'm presuming it's generated via RPM2 somehow.

nikronzo

you give the dealer/L3 harris or whoever, the existing .FES file which contains pertinent information and they send you a new .FES file with the new features you purchased in it. Alternatively, you can just give them the ESN of the radio and they can look it up in the Harris FES database tool that maintains records on everything and they can still send you a .FES file with features that you currently have or new ones purchased. There is NO encryption string anymore. That ended with the unity line.

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber
you give the dealer/L3 harris or whoever, the existing .FES file which contains pertinent information and they send you a new .FES file with the new features you purchased in it. Alternatively, you can just give them the ESN of the radio and they can look it up in the Harris FES database tool that maintains records on everything and they can still send you a .FES file with features that you currently have or new ones purchased. There is NO encryption string anymore. That ended with the unity line.
Yes, just as before, the existing feature string or FES file really isn’t necessary. Harris keeps a database of what ESN has what features and since the FES file came from them, they don’t need you to provide it. Send the ESN and what features you want (along with money), and you get a new file to load…

-B

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
OK, that sound simple in terms of requesting features. Here's my ESN, add these features...they send me a file that I do what with? How is it loaded? I know how to use radio maintenance tools to edit a feature string, how do I do this?

This is something I will be doing shortly. My XL185 will absolutely be getting some additions.

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber
OK, that sound simple in terms of requesting features. Here's my ESN, add these features...they send me a file that I do what with? How is it loaded? I know how to use radio maintenance tools to edit a feature string, how do I do this?

This is something I will be doing shortly. My XL185 will absolutely be getting some additions.
Exactly!! You add them from the radio tab in RPM2. Super simple!

1681521565201.jpeg

-B

TDR-94

I also prefer the detents on the volume control. The 100P was the same way.

@ElroyJetson Don’t forget that you also have to enable Wi-Fi programming in RPM… it’s not enabled by default.

-B
There are no detents on the XG-100P volume control. Your XG-100P either has a bad volume control/concentric switch or the volume control knob is rubbing against the top of the concentric switch. The volume control/concentric switch isn't a very well made one. If someone accidentally turned the volume control the wrong way, trying to turn the radio ON, it doesn't take much force to turn it past it's stop and make it a fee spinning control that won't allow the the radio to be turned OFF, without pulling the battery.

Last edited:

TDR-94

The detented volume control is a better design. It allows you to consistently adjust the volume without having to look at the radio displays. The XG-100P volume control was just idiotic. With just a ramped volume display for volume adjustment, you have to look at the screen and count each segment everytime, to know where to repeatably adjust the volume. It would have made more sense to just use a numerical value, like 1-14.

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber
The detented volume control is a better design. It allows you to consistently adjust the volume without having to look at the radio displays. The XG-100P volume control was just idiotic. With just a ramped volume display for volume adjustment, you have to look at the screen and count each segment everytime, to know where to repeatably adjust the volume. It would have made more sense to just use a numerical value, like 1-14.
I don’t… each detent on my 100P volume control perfectly aligns with a segment of the volume ramp display. I click it on and then move eight clicks and it’s got eight bars illuminated on the volume indication display… if it’s ‘broken’ or ‘rubbing on the concentric switch’, it’s a perfect coincidence I guess!

-B

TDR-94

I don’t… each detent on my 100P volume control perfectly aligns with a segment of the volume ramp display. I click it on and then move eight clicks and it’s got eight bars illuminated on the volume indication display… if it’s ‘broken’ or ‘rubbing on the concentric switch’, it’s a perfect coincidence I guess!

-B
None of the XG-100P's, I've ever seen, have had an actual noticeable detent or click (other than the power ON click) to the volume control adjustment.

Last edited:

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Folks, throwing the 100P volume controls into the mix is getting off topic. Please keep it on topic, which is programing the XL200P over wifi.

TDR-94

Was it the XL-200P or the XL-185P? In any case, I agree. It would just be easier to use the programming cable. Wireless connections tend to be overly complex and less reliable. Ironic, considering the nature of the forum.

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber
Was it the XL-200P or the XL-185P? In any case, I agree. It would just be easier to use the programming cable. Wireless connections tend to be overly complex and less reliable. Ironic, considering the nature of the forum.
It’s easier until you get Wi-Fi programming to work, at which point, it’s bulletproof! It’s way less hassle to use Wi-Fi when you have an RSM attached all the time… I don’t like constantly disconnecting and reconnecting accessories. Such a pita!

-B