Has Anybody Heard Any Digital Modulation On VHF Low Band (30-50 Mhz)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
I think all have ever heard on low band is old-fashioned, analog, FM modulation. Has anybody here ever heard any APCO P25, MOTO TRBO any other digital modulation between 30 and 50 Mhz?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Hasn't really been any equipment to support that.

However, Kenwood has (or will soon be) releasing an NX-5000 RF deck that is showing low band, 110 watts, analog, P25 and NXDN.

mortoma61

I think all have ever heard on low band is old-fashioned, analog, FM modulation. Has anybody here ever heard any APCO P25, MOTO TRBO any other digital modulation between 30 and 50 Mhz?
I haven't heard anything at all in that band since the seventies!! Kind of dead in most regions of the USA.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I haven't heard anything at all in that band since the seventies!! Kind of dead in most regions of the USA.

You would be amazed at what you can still hear on low band. Especially when the band opens.
Many of todays scanner antennas either don't include that band or are just really poor performers so that could be why you never hear anything if you search the band. Take a look at these threads, they contains a lot of logs of what was heard last year and so far this year.

https://forums.radioreference.com/threads/2018-vhf-low-band-logs.369989/
https://forums.radioreference.com/threads/2019-vhf-low-band-logs.383408/

Right now the band is pretty dead but it will improve. My state still maintains a low band system as well.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Hasn't really been any equipment to support that.

However, Kenwood has (or will soon be) releasing an NX-5000 RF deck that is showing low band, 110 watts, analog, P25 and NXDN.

I recall a thread here at RR somewhere where someone did receive a P25 signal in the low band. I can't find the thread as it was a while back but I think it was determined it was military.

oracavon

Except in California, where the California Highway Patrol uses it statewide for dispatch and mobile units. The LA area alone has more than a dozen active CHP low band channels. None of them are digital, but they are active.

Status
Not open for further replies.