Has Anybody Here In The Twin Cities Area Tried To Monitor MOTO TRBO Yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
I know that there is at least one program out there that allows monitoring of MOTO TRBO. Has anybody here in Minnesota tried it yet? Or, for that matter, is there anybody using MOTO TRBO that you even want to monitor?

mmtstc

Ø
Premium Subscriber
There was someone running a stream of ANCOM s TRBO system on a site other than RadioReference since all of it's traffic violated the TOS for streaming.

I've used target fields system a couple of times and it seems to work pretty decent. Good coverage and good audio quality.

I haven't listened to them lately but when I was in the federal reserve the other day I noticed they got new radios and I suspect that they moved to a TRBO system from their LTR.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

JASII

Memory Capacity
I suppose it is normally considered bad form to resurrect an old thread, but this is exactly the same thought as when I originally posted it. There is now some additional equipment available to monitor MOTO TRBO/DMR and there are also some additional users compared to when I originally posted this.

Who here is monitoring any MOTO TRBO activity? What equipment do you use? What organizations do you like to monitor?

From what I have read, if you want a portable transceiver, the Connect Systems CS750 might be a good choice. It sounds like it is the only transceiver that will all ow you to monitor activity and determine what Time Slots and Color Codes are being used.

I have also read a little bit about the AOR AR-DV1. It sounds like it is quite a receiver. It will decode MOTO TRBO/DMR, as well as a number of other digital modes. I have also read that there are some issues with this unit. At roughly $1200.00, not just every hobbyist will be springing for one!

I recall reading that there is at least one 70 cm amateur DMR repeater in town. Does anybody here use it or happen to know how much activity it gets?

Also, with regards to non-amateur users, I suppose many will be quick to point out that the MOA is a MOTO TRBO user and is reportedly encrypted. Besides the Mall Of America, who else is using MOTO TRBO that you might want to listen to?

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
I have CS700 that I used on the amateur repeaters in town. There's actually two ham dmr repeaters in town. The main one is on Moos tower at the U. The other is in the house in the como area. Last I heard that one might eventually end up at the St Paul campus of the U, or possibly elsewhere if they find a better site.

As far as monitoring other stuff with the CS700, I cant speak to that as I have not yet tried it. I do know that the $20 sdr dongles you can get on amazon will decode dmr and there is supposed to be a program that figures out color codes, time slots, and talkgroups. The furthest I've gone with those is to just test with hearing myself transmitting on a simplex frequency. I haven't really tried monitoring real systems with that yet though. But for the cost its probably worth trying.

stmills

I have played a bit with DSD+ for Moto Trbo but not in the past 6 months. There are multiple DMR 70cm repeaters and from what I hear they are growing in volume of traffic.
Who is using Trbo:
Mall of America
Xcel Center
Target Field
Minneapolis Convention Center will be in the next Year
US Bank Stadium
Minneapolis Community & Tech College
St. Thomas University
Park Nicollet Hospital & Clinics
Ancom
Bobby and Steves towing(Ancom User)
AAA

dgruber

Since I go to a school in district 196 I like to listen to are School bus mototrbo system that are district just upgraded to from a conventional analog system using a CS750.

ScanWI

MN & WI DB Admin
Database Admin
I have had great success monitoring digital systems across the Twin Cities area. I have been using a CS700, MD380, XPR6550, and scanners with Disc taps and DSDPlus. There is a lot of digital out there to listen to and you will be able to hear something in digital from any of the metro counties.

DMR
MotoTRBO
NXDN
IDAS

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
An update on recent ham DMR activity: Theres a new one on 442.85 that went on the air last weekend in Dayton and there is supposed to be one going up in oakdale in the next few weeks as well. Additionally theres talk of one on a decent site going up in prior lake, but that seems to be further out in time.

JASII

Memory Capacity
I still haven't bought anything to monitor MOTO TRBO yet, but I am just wondering if there arr any new users on MOTO TRBO? Also, are most using encryption? I recall reading that the Mall Of America MOTO TRBO system is encrypted.What about Minneapolis Community & Tech College and St.Thomas University? Are they encrypted?

ScanWI

MN & WI DB Admin
Database Admin
Yes, MOA is 100% encrypted. There is a lot of DMR in the twin Cities area that is not. I would say most is not encrypted. I am not sure if Minneapolis Community & Tech College and St.Thomas University are encrypted or not though.

Status
Not open for further replies.