PSR-800: Has anybody seen this before?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc2gbv

My PSR800 was hooked up to the external power in my vehicle when the incoming power got turned on and off several times. This is causing the scanner to fail to turn on. It shows uSD initializing but when I invoke the Power button it will hang on the clock. Scanner functions from the internal batteries. Removing the internal batteries to force reset has not fixed it. I can't find a reset switch. I would appreciate any input.

troymail

Silent Key
Sudden application or removal of external power on the powered on scanner can/will cause problems - usually also damaging the SD card. It is likely that is the problem.

I (and others) always recommend having at least one additional SD card ready and available.

You probably need to reformat and/or replace the SD card

KS0USA

I experience this same condition after shutting down the engine in my Jeep and having the scanner plugged into a USB port while operating. It doesn't occur all the time, but the only way I've been able to clear it and resume scanning is remove one battery, re-insert and start the scanner. I have not experienced a corrupted SD card.

I will try replacing the SD card. Thanks for your response.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
I concur. You do not want to cycle power via the car ignition using an sd card type scanner, it will corrupt.

And in the event you have a HP536 it makes an awful digital burst/squelch type sound that will startle you. This has happened to me a couple of times when I've forgotten to turn it off first. Fortunately it didn't cause a problem with the card or the unit.

kc2gbv

I thought this interesting. I was living with turning on the scanner with the USB dis-connected and after initializing plugging in the USB cord. Worked fine for a while. Now unable to monitor any trunked or PL toned channels. Able to monitor weather or entries with no PL tones. Just for haha's I reloaded firmware and DSP firmware. Viola back to normal. Starting issue went away. It appears that the firmware got corrupted.

Status
Not open for further replies.