Has anybody used one of those magnetic loop antennas (approx 3 ft) for transmitting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

edweirdFL

I've used a home built one (that was gifted to me) that could be tuned to the 30 and 20 meter bands.

Tuning was super touchy with a narrow range, making it OK for something like FT8 or ops where you park on a freq, but less than ideal for tuning around.

Easy to setup outside or even inside with a tripod mount. (mindful of exposure limits of course). Probably a better fit for someone with very limited options for antennas or no outside antennas allowed.

If you have room for a 30 foot tall pole and wire you can setup in a side yard at home, or take to the park, I think you'll get better results with that than a small loop IMHO based on my QRP operations with both.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I use a Chameleon F-Loop. The inefficiency increases the further down the band you go. A loop is probably best for someone with HOA concerns, or does not have a tree nearby to string up an end fed antenna. Using the loop low to the ground is fine. Up in the air is not needed. Thus the reason it can work well with an HOA.

I prefer an end fed antenna when working portable, but sometimes I like to keep busy with the constant tuning of the loop capacitor to keep things resonant. The loop also easily allows to null a signal, or noise, with a turn. I use it with either a Yaesu 817 or 897 with no more than 20 watts, as that is its limit. If you have a transceiver with a waterfall display, you will not get the full benefit as the loop is narrow in band. I do not plan to go into details here as to why that is. Others have done so numerous times and Google is your friend as well as the RadioReference Wiki.

Besides the loop keeping me busy with tuning for resonance, I also tune it and leave it on a frequency for digital modes. There is plenty of room for digital signals at the watering holes. I may also use it for receiving a station on the broadcast bands. If you know the freq, it is easy to dial it up on the radio and then adjust the loop to resonance. If there is noise, a slight twist of the loop antenna will null it out. One cannot slightly twist an end fed antenna to null an unwanted signal/interference.

A loop antenna is simply another tool to be used as needed.

Hit_Factor

Alpha loop marketed with the Icom IC-705. Returned it.

Bandwidth too narrow, made waterfall display about useless. SWR too high. Tuning capacitor too touchy.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
I made the mistake of buying a loop antenna from MFJ several years ago. It was their most expensive model with "remote tuning".* I soon discovered that the remote tuner was defective and returned it under an RMA as defective. The control box for the remote tuner would not pass the voltage to the system, so of course it wouldn't work.

Not only did I have to pay for shipping it back, they also had the unmitigated GALL to charge me a "Restocking Fee!"

With that one bit of piracy, they have forever lost any business from me. It makes me wonder if they deliberately sell, and resell that one unit, as at 10% restocking fee, they stole made $50 from me!

* MFJ-1788 Super HI Q 36" HF (15-40m) Loop Antenna w/ Remote Control + Cables + AC US $499.95

KB2GOM

I made the mistake of buying a loop antenna from MFJ several years ago. It was their most expensive model with "remote tuning".* I soon discovered that the remote tuner was defective and returned it under an RMA as defective. The control box for the remote tuner would not pass the voltage to the system, so of course it wouldn't work.

Not only did I have to pay for shipping it back, they also had the unmitigated GALL to charge me a "Restocking Fee!"

With that one bit of piracy, they have forever lost any business from me. It makes me wonder if they deliberately sell, and resell that one unit, as at 10% restocking fee, they stole made $50 from me!

* MFJ-1788 Super HI Q 36" HF (15-40m) Loop Antenna w/ Remote Control + Cables + AC US $499.95

Wow, I wondered if anyone had experience with one of those. Thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.