Has anyone ever picked up DPS on lowband?

IC-R20

LoBand Nation
I notice on the DPS/State of Arizona FCC licenses (when I was checking for any local LoBand in my county) a few 40 MHz frequencies are maintained, mostly for forestry stuff it seems. Has anyone ever received them being used though in the past 14 years?

N9JIG

Sheriff
I have been here 9 years and haven't heard anything. I do recall hearing some on 44.66 years ago (1990's or 20) up north. I think they used to use that for weigh stations then.

IC-R20

LoBand Nation
I have been here 9 years and haven't heard anything. I do recall hearing some on 44.66 years ago (1990's or 20) up north. I think they used to use that for weigh stations then.
Yeah about same, I remember reading one of those old scanner frequency list sites that are gone now 12 years ago after moving here that said something about how they used to use almost similar to how CHP does back then.

N9JIG

Sheriff
By the time I first started spending real time in Arizona (early 1980's) DPS had pretty much transitioned to UHF, at least in the Phoenix area. I don't recall ever hearing much else other than some scattered 39 MHz. stuff from a couple of the Sheriff's offices around and the weigh station channel.

A few years ago I searched out low band licenses in AZ and found only a few;

39.18 (Which I think was the common SO channel back in the day) and 39.10 were licensed to Yavapai County (Probably log gone and the licenses just renewed along with the others)
47.66 licensed to Maricopa County EMA
A bunch of 48 and 49 MHz. stuff licensed to a gas pipe line company.

I haven't heard anything on any of these in the 9 years I have lived here.

KB7MIB

47.660 used to have a weekly roll call Wednesday or Thursday morning. 9am? 10am?
There's still a lowband vertical on the tower at the Peoria PD HQ at 83rd and Cinnabar Aves, which is likely for 47.660. (It's actually mounted upside down for some reason.)

John
Peoria

IC-R20

LoBand Nation
By the time I first started spending real time in Arizona (early 1980's) DPS had pretty much transitioned to UHF, at least in the Phoenix area. I don't recall ever hearing much else other than some scattered 39 MHz. stuff from a couple of the Sheriff's offices around and the weigh station channel.

A few years ago I searched out low band licenses in AZ and found only a few;

39.18 (Which I think was the common SO channel back in the day) and 39.10 were licensed to Yavapai County (Probably log gone and the licenses just renewed along with the others)
47.66 licensed to Maricopa County EMA
A bunch of 48 and 49 MHz. stuff licensed to a gas pipe line company.

I haven't heard anything on any of these in the 9 years I have lived here.
Yeah El Paso Natural Gas and BNSF are the last ones I've confirmed active, I was able to kerchunk the El Paso repeater in my area this morning just to see if it was still alive. And then BNSF has 44.58 everywhere and you can see the tall vertical on a alot of their self supported towers with the microwave antennas. The tower generally only receives most of the time and the locomotives transmit telemetry from those long white radomes on the top of the cab that kind of look like ice skates. I saw one with the radomes removed last week and it was just a vertical bent parallel to the roof. I can receive them from pretty far away though over mountains.

A lot of my LoBand scanning just resulted in me finding out that there’s still a lot of baby monitors out there and few cordless phones in the 40 MHz range still interestingly enough. Drive Thru’s were one of the last regularly active LoBand. A lot switched to wifi based in 2015 but Sonic Drive in was one I was still able to get on the 30 MHz range up into 2017.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
I recall the 44 MHz frequency decades ago. While they still are licensed for it, I haven't heard anything in many years.

I tried for several months to capture El Paso Natural Gas on Lo-band and never got a contact.

In the early 1980s, I used to go to the FD station when it was slow. They still had a VHF-Lo band radio and we'd see if skip was working. Occasionally we'd hear NY, NJ, Massachusetts, etc.

KB7MIB

39.180 was likely a law enforcement mutual aid or emergency management coordination channel, in my opinion.

John
Peoria

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
39.180 was likely a law enforcement mutual aid or emergency management coordination channel, in my opinion.

John
Peoria

I lived in Flagstaff in the 1970's, six years total. I had a 39.18 crystal in my radio. A lot of rural type counties used 39.18 as their primary frequency. Coconino used it county wide and had 39.22 for the Flagstaff area. So it was a daily used frequency, not just for mutual aid or for emergencies. One county's dispatcher would call another county's dispatcher on it. This wasn't intercounty, but I remember the words: "776 Sedona, 348 Flagstaff, Sedona, Flagstaff." Sometimes departments would talk over traffic from a distant county. I don't know if they had unique tones for each department, but I think so. Scanners did not have CTCSS capability in the 70's. There wasn't a lot of info on CTCSS for the hobbyists at the time.

N9JIG

Sheriff
A lot of states had channels like this back in the day. In Illinois we had 39.50, almost every sheriff's office used this, sometimes paired with 39.66 for mobiles. In line with that, many small town police agencies also used it as they were usually dispatched by the sheriff.

By the time I was decoding PL tones the dozen or so counties that still used 39.50 were still mostly CSQ, only a couple used PL tones and those only on the mobile side.

I imagine the frequency coordinators of the day assigned 39.18 to everyone as there was a lot less radio traffic and it was a practical way to encourage cooperation and interoperability.

IC-R20

LoBand Nation
Last edited:

Foresigt

Premium Subscriber
Here is a listing of AZ LE agencies from decades ago showing VHF Low, a few VHF High, and a MW license or four. I don't recall what year this list is from.

View attachment 168975
As I remember, 39.18 was the statewide low band frequency that was for agencies to talk to each other which is now called interop. I can tell you quite a while back, (now that I think about it that was 30+ years ago) most sheriff's offices and a few cities monitored it all the time. You could use that frequency when traveling out of your jurisdiction if your vehicle had a low band radio. MCSO Lake Patrol had it in most because of their Lake Patrol Dive Team in the day. I doubt many even have radios for it anymore.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
I couldn't stop thinking about where I got the Arizona listing of mostly VHF police listings above and the answer hit me this morning.
It was in the July 1949 issue of 'FM-TV' magazine. It lists Municipal/County/State Police, Fire, Forestry, Railroads, and Oil Companies licensed in the US at the time of publication.

Since it is a professional publication, there are lots of cool old ads, radio gear, and history available to review.

It is on a PDF format and the directory starts on page 29 and continues on interrupted to page 46.

Happy viewing of our radio past!

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
FYI:
I just checked the ULS for AZDPS VHF-Lo band frequencies and they still are licensed for two - 39.180 MHz and 44.660 MHz.

E5911

Premium Subscriber
39.18 Still licensed to Maricopa County on Mt Ord 110w ERP. Not sure if its still there
Licensed to Maricopa County IT Dept .

Same license shows 159.09 on Thompson PK with a whopper of a transmitter almost 500watts ERP! That must be some antenna...
Isn't that the lake Channel?