Has anyone heard from Bob Grove in a while?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rvacs

Premium Subscriber
Was wondering if anyone has heard from Bob Grove in a while.

He ran the Grove Enterprises - the best place back in the day to purchase scanners.
Also he had the great magazine "Monitoring Times".

Hope his health is good...he helped me get into Radios with his magazine.
:)

RgrP

Premium Subscriber
Bob Grove is now 82 years old, and lives in Brasstown, NC. Besides bobgrove.org there's his author's profile on Amazon where, among his many books, you will find his autobiography "Misadventures of an Only Child."

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber

He ran the Grove Enterprises - the best place back in the day to purchase scanners.

I also subscribed to Monitoring Times, as well as purchased some scanners and other items from Grove Enterprises.

Bob still pops up from time to time with articles in the digital magazine The Spectrum Monitor.
His most recent was an equipment review in the April 2020 issue, on the MFJ-1026.

Xray

Bob Grove, great outfit bought many things from him also long time MT subscriber, used to look forward to those every month like a kid waiting for his allowance - Still have a pile of MT issues up in my rafters. Bill Cheek too, not that they had anything to do with eachother, did quite a bit for the hobby and mentored alot of folks. [I know some folks didn't care for Bill but the dude did know the innards of scanners like no one else in those days]

bb911

Bob was a bit controversial, too. He pioneered, so to speak, the use of RG-6 for scanner use (blasphemy to some at the time). He also published an interesting article about converting a RS TV antenna into a Yagi by shortening some elements, and then mounting it vertically. I tried it and was somewhat disappointed in that it worked as a good scanner antenna but wasn't anywhere near as directional as I had hoped for.

I wrote him (MT) a few questions over the years, a comment or two, and answered one of his questions. He couldn't figure out what the tones/beeps were that he was hearing on VHF low band, around 30 MHz, so he published the question. Not long before that I had received an issue of Outdoor California magazine by the Cal Dept of Fish and Game that had an article about tracking wildlife via radio collar transmitters and mentioned that the range was x to y (a narrow range in the 31 to 32 MHz area as I recall). No big secret that wildlife transmitters were used, but nobody cared much about the freq range(s?) used and the freq he was hearing was in that range.

He also made the most blasphemous product claim that one could imagine - for back in those days. He described some of the scanner antennas that he was selling, as being able to handle low power ham transmissions (2w?). I proved him to be correct, at least for short transmissions on 2m.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Remember Bob Grove and a buddy went snooping around AREA-51 attempting to build a new list of frequencies? Fun stuff! :alien:

bb911

Agreed, but back then some swore that the coax had to be 50 ohm, no if, ands, or buts, and Grove set them straight. Something like the guys on this site who recommend LMR coax to everyone, without even asking about what type of RF environment that they are in, or how long their run is.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Agreed, but back then some swore that the coax had to be 50 ohm, no if, ands, or buts, and Grove set them straight. Something like the guys on this site who recommend LMR coax to everyone, without even asking about what type of RF environment that they are in, or how long their run is.

Yes I remember that.

lviper

Premium Subscriber
Wow, Bob Grove and Monitoring Times. All the memories flooding in as I read through this thread.

I remember being a young 20-something when my mother-in-law gave be a 16 channel scanner for xmas. It sparked so much interest, as I couldn't believe you could actually listen to the police, I set out to find what else I could listen to. That's when I discovered monitoring times and grove enterprises. I dreamed of the scanners and stuff I wanted to buy from there but I was young and starting a family. That 16 channel uniden sufficed for a long time.

mark40

Premium Subscriber

Nice to be reminded of Bob Grove and Monitoring Times and Grove Enterprises. Was my go-to way back when.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
For those of you missing MT magazine, do yourself a favor and subscribe to Spectrum Monitor. While I do find that some of the online articles might not be as in-depth as I'd like, I still love the magazine. Good reviews and topic coverage, and as someone already mentioned, Bob Grove does pop in now and then.

Status
Not open for further replies.