Has anyone seen this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

prcguy

EncryptionMan

I do not even think that as a civilian you can even acquire the new versions because of the added capability. I believe and I could be wrong that its only available to federal agency's and those groups (sometimes local) that are directly responsible for search and rescue. The real issue with someone being in possession of this is being able to track a downed craft and those that survived. The data is more often than not sent and received in a method of encryption so if you got one you would probably not even receive any data on it.

prcguy

If the newer units have Type 1 encryption (would have a CCI bar code) then you would need an account with the NSA to posses one.
prcguy
EncryptionMan said:
I do not even think that as a civilian you can even acquire the new versions because of the added capability. I believe and I could be wrong that its only available to federal agency's and those groups (sometimes local) that are directly responsible for search and rescue. The real issue with someone being in possession of this is being able to track a downed craft and those that survived. The data is more often than not sent and received in a method of encryption so if you got one you would probably not even receive any data on it.

SAR923

There's no way that anyone without a GSA contract can buy one of these from General Dynamics. I think the main difference with the G model is the short burst and voice encryption. I don't know if you need and NSA account but I doubt it. Our sheriff's helicopter unit had two of the Prick 112's and we had to go through the DoD to get a GSA account to buy them. As I recall, they were about $10,000 each. I'm pretty sure the DoD doesn't want these in the hands of civilians without some demonstrated need.

FireRescueMedic11

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
im thinking of starting a SAR team in my county, we have alot of beaches and major private boat ports, im just trying to get established business wise and try to get a loan for equipment

rhvfd10

Is this your team?

http://www.aaof.com/star.htm

Just looking through the internet lens, it looks like Broward SO provides a search and rescue service with the Law enforcement air ops team, posse, and fire technical rescue team. It is odd though that they lack a proper SAR team.

Last edited:

SAR923

You're trying to establish a SAR team as a business? Sorry, but it's not going to happen. You'll never get any loans for equipment unless you want to mortgage your house. You'll be competing against the Sheriff's Department and numerous other municipal and state agencies, which I'm sure already have more than adequate resources to cover beaches and private marinas. How much actual SAR experience do you have? How many lost persons are there each year in your county that require searches that don't get done by the existing agencies? The fact that you're posting about military CSAR radios leads me to believe you don't have much experience in this field. It sounds like you're trying to create an organization in search of a purpose rather than trying fulfill an unmet need.

FireRescueMedic11

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Well, i do plan on going through alot of training, i am only 23, i have a long way to go, we have 2 huge ports in my area and alot of beach, we dont have a sheriff's dept in my state (Connecticut, i need to change my location) and from what i read the local FD's and PD's and EMS are overwhelmed as is with the major cites and all the trouble such as hartford, ct and bridgeport Ct,
as of right now it's just an idea, i have alot of other ideas for homeland security based businesses that i want to research such as a Vol heavy rescue team and Fire/EMS Vol terror incident response agency,
but as i said, this takes a whole lotta research before it ever makes it to a business plan, or off this comp, alot of training and schooling, i plan on attending school this sept for homeland security, there is a local college that offers a BA degree in homeland security, i also plan on getting my paramedic cert at the same school, then im gonna need to do some business managment classes, im hoping by age 30 i'll be able to put something into motion that is involved in the private sector of homeland security and communications

Status
Not open for further replies.