Has anyone tried JamPlugs for use at races?

Status
Not open for further replies.

photodude

I recently came across a product while looking for an alternative to those expensive orange racing earphones. I just cant see spending $100 on these. Has anyone out there ever tried JamPlugs? If so, are they any good? I don't expect perfect, since they are only $20, but I just wondered if they are OK...

speedwaysafety

Premium Subscriber
from experience working at a speedway the expensive plugs are what the driver needs in the car or for track side crews....for you just listening from the stands or somewhere a little further away from the action those jamplugs would probably work just fine.

KG4KHQ

Premium Subscriber
Jam Plugs

Another thing you can do is to get some cheap hearing .protectors like one would use while mowing the yard along with your Jam Plugs. Among my race stuff is some iPod ear buds that use with my 396XT and then I put on some hearing protectors that cover my ears that I got at Walmart for about $8. Works just as well as using a dedicated racing headset.

Sportster77

Premium Subscriber
I bought a set of the JamPlugs for use @ work and within a week of using them, one of the speakers quitworking. Also was not impress with the noise supression even when doing yard work. Conclusion: Neat concept but needs better execution.
As far as race scanning (NHRA mostly) I have 2 sets of Racing Electronics headsets with volume controls on them, which is handy when talking to people around you , you don't have to search for the scanner's volume control when they are on your belt.They are mono so that you can not listen to 2 scanners at the same time like you can with stereo muffs.
Around the house or work I use a set of Howard Leight Sync noise blocking (NRR25) earmuffs with MP3 sound input and a set of A O Safety WorkTunes earmuffs with am/fm radio and MP3 input.
The AO Safety's volume control does not work when using the MP3 input but has the better NR than the the Howard Leights.

Status
Not open for further replies.