Has anyone used this antenna.... ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

steele_lpd

I'm looking at the below antenna (sorry for the small pic). It is the Radio Shack Outdoor VHF-Hi/UHF Scanner Antenna model # 20-176. The Radio Shack website shows a very good rating and a lot of great reviews. I was just wondering how people here felt about it. It would be used for a scanner and not for transmitting. Most likely be feed by RG6 quad shield coax and mounted on a chimney at the top of my 2 1/2 story home.

Another plus for this antenna is that it has a price tag of $25.99. Check it out at http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...productId=2103641&support=support&tab=summary.

pRS1C-2266208w345.jpg

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I've seen comments that, altho it's a good performer, it tends not to stand up too well to heavy weather. 73 Mike

LordJ

This has been a great antenna for me. I mostly listen in the 140-160 range and this is perfect. I have had it mounted outside for about 8 years now, and it has not broken, rusted, fallen apart. I check it every summer. I live in South-eastern Ontario, Canada. The winters here can be harsh, and this little guy has been great...If you listen to the same band, go for it..

Taloniilm

Sputnik

I have two of them and recommend them for those just getting started with outdoor antennas. For me the price and performance is hard to beat...

Last edited:

hydrolocked

they suffice as 2M transmit antennas as well.... it's about as good as a 1/4 wave ground plane, IMHO.

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
ka3jjz said:
I've seen comments that, altho it's a good performer, it tends not to stand up too well to heavy weather. 73 Mike
i bought one years ago and in 6 months the threads and nuts were rusted. It's like chrome plated steel or something.

ermin

20-176

blueangel-eric said:
i bought one years ago and in 6 months the threads and nuts were rusted. It's like chrome plated steel or something.

I've used one for over 12 years. It last almost forever in the attic. Another one didn't make a year outside here in south Florida. I would only use it inside. If your near a city it receives great. I have not tried to hear something far away. Works great on the local 800Mhz stuff too.

73 Ed

fuzzymoto

Premium Subscriber
I've had one outside for several years and it's fine....no rust, no failure, no problems. It's a good all-around durable antenna for me. It's just OK in 800Mhz but I don't have much 800 in my area.

Good antenna for the price

Ghost4658

I have had one for more than 15 years and doing a good job for me no problems i scan 155Mhz & 800Mhz trunk OK!!
I have it on a tower 50ft up & has been in hail storms as big as softballs and no problem!

Josh

I've gone through several as I've upgraded antennas. My dad has one on his house now. They're fantastic, however Radio Shack has a beautiful tendency to mark everything up sky-high. The few I've purchased were only $20 each.

It should last, yes the nuts that hold the radials to the antenna will rust, it's inevitable with anything made of steel, left outside. It really doesn't make much of a difference as the rest of the antenna holds up well. If it's an issue, then a spray over with a clear laquer spray-paint will make it last forever.

-Josh

Taloniilm

hey steel...pass on the RS coax. Swing by "wally world" on your way to the house and grab some Phillips RG6 Quad shield. I'm seeing good performance with it, (RX only) Let us know how it turns out

k8mcn

Spray the antenna

Spray the antenna with some Krylon Clear----best $1.97 you will ever spend-----resists the rust--(not sure how it holds up oceanside with salty air) but up north the stuff is great!

Taloniilm

I swaped out the lock nuts for stainless, (ACE hardware). The clear coat is a great idea... helps prevent rust/ corrosion and keeps the lock nuts from backing off.

fuzzymoto

Premium Subscriber
hoser147 said:
Its a decent antenna, but for the money I perfer this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=290187448730&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=019
comes with the coax and all, good reception on all bands..........Good Scannin Hoser

I'd agree with this also. I have both the ST-2 and 20-176 up and the ST-2 does better for what I listed to. The ST-2 is much larger and takes a little more space to mount but it does outperform the 20-176, at least in my conditions and freqs. The 20-176 is more compact and probably a little more durable, although I haven't had any breakage in either yet

Status
Not open for further replies.