Has GRE Ruined Your Life?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeerNutz

Premium Subscriber
It wasn't that long ago, programming a scanner took forever for me. Once set though, all I touched was the on/off knob, dare I mess everything up and the process started all over again.

The GRE PSR-410 and PSR-800 are so easy to program via software, you are up and running within minutes. After programming I can constantly check for and download with ease the latest & greatest, software, firmware and frequencies. Then constanty tweaking or experimenting with a gazillion settings, alpha tags and flashing LEDs. What a blast! It is just like my early days of tinkering with a '64 GTO or an open architecture PC.

GRE, I want my life back. You have ruined my life and I thank you for it.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Programming in a few minutes! LOL

Ruined it? LOL.

I take the time to learn how to manually program each GRE model. That's crazy I know. But I do all the heavy lifting with software and I do not use the import feature because I want my scanners more custom than what that provides. I maintain my own DB with text tags, notes, users on the same frequency, etc that I cut and paste into various programs for each scanner.

It took about 1 month, spending 4 to 8 hours a day, to get my first '310 profile programmed. With bank oriented scanners like the '97 or '300 I have several profiles that I load depending on where I am going to be. I loaded all of them into the '310 and used about 1720 objects. That's what took some time to organize.

Part of the process was figuring out how to organize with only 20 (or 22) lists, which are ridiculously TOO FEW and how to program the tri-color LED to make it the most effective. That LED shows how such an inexpensive addition can make for a more powerful listening experience.

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
Thanks BeerNutz for giving me a good laugh

this morning! I have a Pro-94 that requires programming directly, no computer connection available. Drives me up a wall when programming trunking systems in....
But I also have the Pro-107, basically a GRE-700, and EASY to program!!!
Thanks go to GRE for jobs well done and screwing up so many of our lives...:)

bigcam406

i manually programmed my psr500 as well.took a while to do so(over a period of a few months,little at a time),glad i did.very familiar with it now.as far as ruining my life.....too funny Beernutz

BeerNutz

Premium Subscriber
That's it GRE, I have my 410 blinking like a Christmas tree and WTH? That's my name I have flashing on the display.

Better yet, prank somebody by having their name flash on the display and have them look at it. OMG!, their name is flashing on a police radio. Better have your video cam ready for the look on their face.

So, GRE has ruined my life and now has me ruining others. Will this ever end?

Bob_61

What Life?!

I lost my life the first time my father gave me a pair of walkie talkies that he got through raleigh coupon! I have never been the same again! By the way where am I????????????? :twisted:

Bob_61

That's it GRE, I have my 410 blinking like a Christmas tree and WTH? That's my name I have flashing on the display.

Better yet, prank somebody by having their name flash on the display and have them look at it. OMG!, their name is flashing on a police radio. Better have your video cam ready for the look on their face.

So, GRE has ruined my life and now has me ruining others. Will this ever end?

Oh! How about hearing your name over the scanner? As you know the use of Robert Henry for R,H ! And yes not in all areas, But when I hear it I start to sweat even when I am AT HOME! No sleeping after that!!!! All kidding aside it does goof me up! But what funnnnnnnnnnn! :)

CaseyC1

I have to agree that GRE has made it very very simple for us with the new radios but in some sort of way I miss doing it all by hand lol. The LED is one of my favorite features though, even if I dont hear the radio as long as I can see the light I know what system it is.

Tracker

You guys are lucky, I can't get my BC780XLT programmed with the ProScan software ...I feel like a real dummy

nwiscan

I have a 310 and found it extremely user friendly for manual programming in a fairly large large area of reception including a few trunked systems. For my use I dont have any need for a programing cable or software.

With that said, I wonder what I am missing out on in regards to firmware updates? If anyone knows what I am missing, and what firmware I should have, please respond in a private message.

SCPD

QRT
I love my PSR500 ... it is an excellent scanner. I use PSREdit and the combination is just wonderful.

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
While the PSR units are a little bit more involved than the Uniden's to program; they are both excellent scanners.

I have a PSR-500/600 and the BCD396/996XT units and I am very comfortable and happy with both products. One is a little better at some things than the other but then again the same can be said the other way around.

If you are having heartache and discontent with GRE, perhaps you need to spend a little more time reading the instructions and the forums groups in order to have a full grasp on how the modern scanner radios function, program, etc.

There are 1000's if not 10,000's of satisfied customers on both fronts; however, as enthusiasts, we do indeed always want more...

Hope you're listening GRE; how about a PSR-510/610 with all the functionality of the PSR-800 but allow us (the advanced users) the ability to program on the fly and the beloved keyboard. As for you Uniden, it's time for an integrated GPS receiver such as what Kenwood did on their TH-D72A handheld. Only then will the GPS site on/off really work for users with a BCD396XT; it's way too hard to carry around a GPS, cables, etc with a handheld scanner, it wasn't really a practical idea. And while you're at it, add an LED light for the color option and leave the LCD as white...

BeerNutz

Premium Subscriber
I have to agree that GRE has made it very very simple for us with the new radios but in some sort of way I miss doing it all by hand lol. The LED is one of my favorite features though, even if I dont hear the radio as long as I can see the light I know what system it is.

Right on. I thought the LED function was just bling I could live without. Now with just a glance I can tell who is talking by the color of the flashing LED..Very, very nice feature.

Bob_61

Right on. I thought the LED function was just bling I could live without. Now with just a glance I can tell who is talking by the color of the flashing LED..Very, very nice feature.

DITTO BOYS! Mine looks like a Christmas Tree! All those pretty colors... Having a flash back! Get back, get back, get back to where you once belonged, get back Jojo!

:roll: :lol: :eek:

eagleswings01

I have a 310 and found it extremely user friendly for manual programming in a fairly large large area of reception including a few trunked systems. For my use I dont have any need for a programing cable or software.

With that said, I wonder what I am missing out on in regards to firmware updates? If anyone knows what I am missing, and what firmware I should have, please respond in a private message.

Same here - 310 without software. It'd be a nice backup, but I'm on a Mac and am not interested in running a parallel system.

Still, I love my scanner!

Status
Not open for further replies.