Has Simi Police gone encrypted??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opfor2

It seems that this weekend Simi Police has finally gone encrypted. Been monitoring all weekend and nothing in the clear. Any thoughts ?

iscanvnc2

Premium Subscriber
5:16 Unit in clear. Disp encrypted. SVPD noted for seemingly random encryption. Sometimes disp only for a while. Sometimes a single unit only. Seldom both. There has been previous threads regarding this.

5:25 Nothing since 5:16. Quiet.

kearthfan101

Premium Subscriber
VCScanner on twitter noted Simi's "new plan to encrypt all of their radio traffic" so it sounds like it's finally happening after their 10+ year plan to do it...

Engine104

Member since 2005
I'm not sure if this should go here or under the new Ventura Co System thread.. This was posted to a reliable Ventura Co Scanner feed on Twitter hosted by AI6YR,

@KyleBJorrey

In light of news that @SimiValleyPD will be encrypting radio traffic, I reached out to Sheriff @AyubBill. His response: "We will not be encrypting our radio communications and are exploring other ways of communicating the protected CLETS information with our staff in the field."

ChrisE_STB

CA Database Admin
Database Admin
I'm not sure if this should go here or under the new Ventura Co System thread.. This was posted to a reliable Ventura Co Scanner feed on Twitter hosted by AI6YR,
@KyleBJorrey

In light of news that @SimiValleyPD will be encrypting radio traffic, I reached out to Sheriff @AyubBill. His response: "We will not be encrypting our radio communications and are exploring other ways of communicating the protected CLETS information with our staff in the field."
-
Encryption was not the sole option to comply. They can send these returns via the MDCs and be in compliance. Seems like this may be the route VCSO is going.

Opfor2

Community: Simi Valley Police Department Switches to Encrypted Radio Communication

On October 12, 2020, the California Department of Justice (DOJ) issued Information Bulletin #20-09-CJIS, which set forth legal mandates and guidelines regarding the “Confidentiality of Information from the California Law Enforcement Telecommunications System (CLETS).” The guidelines require law enforcement agencies to protect Personally Identifiable Information (PII) and Criminal Justice Information (CJI). PII is information such as an individual’s first and last name in combination with more specific data such as a driver license number or date of birth. CJI is information such as wants/warrants, restraining orders, and/or details related to an individual’s probation or parole status.

Simi Valley Police Department utilizes a digital communications system that includes encryption technology. On November 1, 2020, the Police Department switched to encrypted radio communication. The Department is now in compliance with the new DOJ mandates and is broadcasting encrypted radio traffic in manner that protects sensitive information.

We recognize the concern from the community members and the media regarding encrypted communication reducing transparency. However, encryption will also shut out individuals who are engaging in criminal behavior that would like to know if law enforcement is responding to their location. The Police Department understands the argument that community members have the right to know what is occurring in the city. Our Department utilizes social media platforms such as Nixle, Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter to disseminate public information.

The Simi Valley Police Department is committed to providing superior services that promote a safe community and encourage community partnerships. The Department is currently exploring alternatives to full radio communication encryption that would allow police personnel to transmit PII and CJI per DOJ guidelines without jeopardizing officer safety.

If you would like to read California Department of Justice Information Bulletin, #20-09-CJIS, Confidentiality of Information from the California Law Enforcement Telecommunications System (CLETS), please utilize the link below:

Information Bulletins

Engine104

Member since 2005
It seems to me that Simi PD is interpreting the DOJ order too broadly by encrypting all traffic and not just PII and CJI.

657fe2

Premium Subscriber
Simi Valley is out of compliance. What if I am arrested for DUI? I am sitting in the back seat of the car, I can hear the radio in the front. The Dispatcher is reading the details of another traffic stop, I have an excellent memory and destroy the poor souls credit. Who is usually close enough to cops to overhear the radios, people being arrested that's who.

I don't know anything about Simi Valley politics, but I believe their is a Latina Council member who is not fond of the Police Chief.

Talk to her, make some alliances!!!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Simi Valley is out of compliance. What if I am arrested for DUI? I am sitting in the back seat of the car, I can hear the radio in the front. The Dispatcher is reading the details of another traffic stop, I have an excellent memory and destroy the poor souls credit. Who is usually close enough to cops to overhear the radios, people being arrested that's who.

The radio system is not "out of compliance".
The recent CJIS information bulletin requests agencies provide details on how they will -eventually- stop sharing CLETS data in the clear. It's not a radio requirement per se, it's an IT/security requirement. "Don't share PII in the clear". Several ways to handle that without necessarily going to encryption, but going encrypted does make things easier.

but, yeah, essentially sharing personal identifying info over radio 'in the clear' is going to soon be a thing of the past. And that is absolutely a good thing.

Paco-Jerte

You Member, Member!
its interesting how it went encrypted one day before Election Day 2020. Maybe SVPD was expecting a Fiasco, but could be worst now with the results we are having with this election to keep all traffic silent

657fe2

Premium Subscriber
I did no
The radio system is not "out of compliance".
The recent CJIS information bulletin requests agencies provide details on how they will -eventually- stop sharing CLETS data in the clear. It's not a radio requirement per se, it's an IT/security requirement. "Don't share PII in the clear". Several ways to handle that without necessarily going to encryption, but going encrypted does make things easier.

but, yeah, essentially sharing personal identifying info over radio 'in the clear' is going to soon be a thing of the past. And that is absolutely a good thing.

I did not literally mean SVPD system is out of compliance, I was making a joke about unfunded mandates and bureaucratic nonsense that comes from Sacramento and then sends local government officials having to scramble that makes California government bloated and ridiculous.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I did not literally mean SVPD system is out of compliance, I was making a joke about unfunded mandates and bureaucratic nonsense that comes from Sacramento and then sends local government officials having to scramble that makes California government bloated and ridiculous.

None of this is anything new and none of it should have been a surprise for any department. The requirements to protect PII have been in the CLETS access agreements for a very long time. Agencies were just ignoring it. DOJ is just reminding them that they have an agreement to follow the existing/established rules. If an agency choses not to follow the rules of the agreement, they risk losing their CLETS access. An agency would have to be pretty stupid to let that happen.

How agencies choose to meet that requirement is up to the individual agency. There are many ways to achieve it. Encryption of radio traffic is just one way to do that.

None of this should be a surprise to anyone that has worked in/around IT for any length of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.