Has the Creator of SDRSharp Closed Shop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
website reads....

Ive Had Enough!....the Yahoo UK group is inaccessible..

Just me or anyone else having these issues?..there was some negative comments back n forth with Youssef and another member of the UK group...

Anyone hear anything?

Markb

Premium Subscriber
No. He is developing new software defined radio. That is probably what is taking up all of his time at the moment. Not sure about the forum.
www.airspy.com

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
There is an image stating "Gone Fishing, back when I feel like it". If you try to go to a specific page you have previously bookmarked (i.e. downloads), you get a 404.

jazzbassNick

Feed Provider
Went back through the digest emails I get...

Someone was working on getting SDR# working with a Perseus, uploaded his code, then Youssef responded:
That's not how code contributions work in this project. I believe SDR# is the friendliest DSP code around and it allowed a lot of folks to get hands into DSP, and has been copied over and over... It became what it is today because we succeeded in fighting fragmentation.
I have had a look on the proposed code, and I was a bit disappointed. Beside the cosmetics, I see some severe degradation of the processing quality. That's not what I want for this project. I don't believe anyone can get better performance out of SDR# without sacrificing the quality of the processing anyway...
So, whoever wants to contribute, please respect our rules. Contact us first in our irc channel (#sdrsharp @ freenode) so we can explain what trade-offs have been made, why they are there and how to avoid specializing the application for yourself and penalize 90% of the users. That said, I really like genuine DSP innovations and am very open to all suggestions.

Youssef

Then a couple of others (not the guy that did updated code) jumped on Youssef for that. He followed up with this:
> Please don't deprecate the suggestions and efforts of the wider community.

I think there's a big misunderstanding here. I reviewed the proposed code and I found a lot of implementation errors. I'm not even speaking of the fact of violating the license here. If it's not correct then I won't merge it. End of the drama.
I don't want people to associate SDR# with poor performance and reliability problems because of someone else's lack of understanding of how things ended up in the code tree. Only that justifies the licensing the the "commit right" policy. Sorry if it's not so "democratic" to your taste, but that's how software development works.
The right way to contribute is either write your own plugin OR propose a working model that fits everyone's needs. The latter being harder to achieve, I recommend the first one so the end users have the choice of using the plugin or not.

> The technology we developed is not your alone.
Do you know the difference between textbook formulas and working software?

Youssef

That's about all I got.

Yeah,I get the AIRSPY thing,But the whole site's down,and the yahoo group too? cant access the messages,nor the files.a big OOPS message on the files page.

I see the gone fishin graphic,but the tab on firefox reads--Ive had enough.

that other biuld was called SDRUltra..I DL'd it,,works good..good looking interface too.

there was some static between the two..then the sites are down.

Ive got the last SDR# build,1199..got it a day or so ago..

Last edited:

rjdj2000

Gone Cuckoo
Feed Provider
Figures... Buy 2 dongles to try my hand at SDR and didn't download the software the other day and when they come today, can't download the software.... Just my dang luck... Started on another site to go through steps to install it all and the one file I did download awhile back was the wrong one so when I fire up the extracted SDR# I cannot find the USB dongle... GRRRRRRRRR............

rjdj2000

Gone Cuckoo
Feed Provider
And thanks to the Internet Wayback Machine... I have gotten what I needed, well some of and was able to at least get the RTL dongle to work... Tuned it to a radio station... Now onto the Unitrunker and what not....

Boatanchor

Download sdr-software.rar - BitShare.com - Free File Hosting and Cloud Storage

Just RAR'd it up several versions,as wel as the SDRUltra version that caused all the fuss!

Interesting.. The file/s have been deleted from the above download site too..
Something's Afoot...

Major copyright infringement issue, or something more devious?

At this stage, it looks like Youssef had a major league hissy fit and took his bat and ball and went home.

Hopefully, calmer heads will prevail and the site and software development will continue.

mk262

Premium Subscriber
Interesting.. The file/s have been deleted from the above download site too..
Something's Afoot...

Major copyright infringement issue, or something more devious?

At this stage, it looks like Youssef had a major league hissy fit and took his bat and ball and went home.

Hopefully, calmer heads will prevail and the site and software development will continue.

No, it's not deleted. It's working just fine.

rbm

If it disappears again, I have working archives of many of the releases up to 1199.. (around 8 MB each)

I could zip one up and send it to anyone who needs it.

Rich

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
It's gone again.

30w2dly.jpg

PYuknis

Premium Subscriber
People should have the common sense to respect the guy who has invested so much time in providing an invaluable tool at no cost to the user.

rbm

People should have the common sense to respect the guy who has invested so much time in providing an invaluable tool at no cost to the user.

That's very true.

But you lose all respect when you punish the masses for the misdeeds of a few.

I've seen this happen a few times with software and web sites.

It shows the risk of thinking something will always be there.

The only way to keep this from happening is to have multiple sources for anything you care about and archiving everything you depend on.

Rich

D

DaveNF2G

I thought SDR# was covered by the GNU license. I don't think Youssef is justified in trying to suppress whatever versions have already been released.

jdobbs2001

No its not. His mistake was releasing the sourcecode to begin with, then the freeloaders will use code for commercial purposes. like that kickstarter guy.

What he should have done was just release the API calls/hooks for those who want to write plugins, but keep the source to himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.