TRX-2: Has this TRX-2 problem been resolved yet ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neilbell

I used a TRX-2 for about a year and liked the overall performance. However there was one very frustrating problem when updating the scanner data. This caused the "Waiting for Main" where the internal communication between the main unit and detachable keyboard/display would not function properly.

I know some of these were caused by having power applied while trying to update your programming. I resorted to updating the SD card directly in an SD card reader on my computer. This usually worked just fine but was a pain to do when making frequent changes.

So my question before several of us buy new TRX-2 scanners is simple - is this still an issue? There are 7 people in the scanner group I belong to who want to escape the "Uniden world"

Advice or comments very welcome.
Neil Bell, KJ6FBA

lou9155

yes i had this happen and same thing had to pull out sd card to make changes super PIA ..i never liked the menu and navigation and sent it back

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
I have had my TRX 2 for about 2 months now, I have been very happy with it. No issues to report.

Ed6698

There are no issues with the radios, but like all electronics there are some that are actually defective. Most of the time the problems are user created. Attributed by not properly ejecting the SD card from Windows via USB cable or card reader. Improperly powering on radio, by not holding power button down until prompted to release it. Having the radio powered on while trying to do updating via USB cable. Can also be a defective SD card, or user possibly using a counterfeit replacement SD card. There are some brand SD cards that cause the problems to begin with. Issues usually happen by not following or reading the owners manual, then blame the radio.

Ubbe

I wouldn't think that whistler did something with their software to fix what looks like a hardware issue.

I constantly get SD card errors independent of SD card type and size when I listen to recordings and delete them. It always leaves some corrupted files that haven't been properly deleted and scanner can't start. Never any problem if I do the same thing but using a card reader.

/Ubbe

Jon22

The only problem that I've had was to condition myself to properly "disconnect" the USB cable. I've always been in the habit of just pulling the cable and not disconnecting via windows.
I had to "fix" the SD card once and I haven't had a problem since.
No problems between the main unit and face plate to report.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
The only problem that I've had was to condition myself to properly "disconnect" the USB cable. I've always been in the habit of just pulling the cable and not disconnecting via windows. I had to "fix" the SD card once and I haven't had a problem since. No problems between the main unit and face plate to report.

Fortunately I only had this issue once, due to a stupid oversight (forgot to "unmount" or "eject" the drive). After I switched over to Mac in 2006 I had to very quickly get used to unmounting a drive before I pulled the cable out of the USB slot; corrupted data will do that to you.

I carried that over to Windows use at work, always unmounted a drive before I disconnected it and reminded others to do the same (and was ignored). Then one day one of the other folks in the office just unplugged a drive as people tend to do with Windows, and lost over 1gb of very important data from the thumb drive. Quite an eye-opener for everyone else.

Even so, I also had to force myself to unmount the scanner before unplugging it; being used to older scanners with less volatile memory, I unplugged my 436 without thinking and corrupted the SD card. Took an hour to reformat, reload all the data, then reload all the favorite lists. You can bet I won't make that mistake again.

The Whistler scanners here have been working great, though. No issues at all. . .

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I found that as long as I have the RECORD feature turned off, I can pull the DC plug while on, the USB cable, whatever, and have no issues on my WS1098. Good thing to know if you have a mobile install and want to power off with the ignition.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.