Has Uniden got their stuff together yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommypickles

I bought an SDS200 in March and sent it back within a week due to the screen failing.
Has this problem been solved yet?
last I heard is that if your screen goes bad and it is after 30 days Uniden willo fix, but charge, in other words no customer service.
While I had it it did LSM great, now I am relying on a 996P2 and 536 to do the job.
Would like a 200 but not if thet do not work.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I bought an SDS200 in March and sent it back within a week due to the screen failing.
last I heard is that if your screen goes bad and it is after 30 days Uniden willo fix, but charge, in other words no customer service.
While I had it it did LSM great, now I am relying on a 996P2 and 536 to do the job.

Uniden's warranty on scanner radios it one year. Complaints on the SDS are few and far between these days. You might consider buying another one. I did and it's perfect! A friend did the same, his is also fine!

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I've purchased 7 SDS200 scanners from an assortment of dealers, 3 for myself and 4 purchased and set up for others in my area. Some were purchased in early 2020, but all date codes were from 2019, and not one problem with hum, screen flicker, or any other problems.

Where did you hear that Uniden charges for a flickering screen repair after only a 30 day period? Can you post a link to that info?

Hit_Factor

Seriously? One bad screen and you characterize all of them as defective?

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Maybe not all of them but I have read many people getting them and there is nothing like spending $700 for a big let down

tommypickles

Had a bad customer service with one dealer.
Uniden does not refund shipping.
Have heard of numerous complaints on these.
For $700.00 i would like a product that will work, and for more than 7 days.
Maybe you got lucky, but I am old fashioned, I expect companies to back up their products, the same goes for retailers that sell a product.
That mean you fix a customers problem without charging them. In the case of Uniden no dealers or Uniden direct, will back the product, that is if it does not work properly fix it free and fast or total refund.
I was out $45.00 for shipping, for some this maybe no big deal, but it is a lot to me.
I am not cheap, just poor.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Maybe not all of them but I have read many people getting them and there is nothing like spending $700 for a big let down

They should have ordered from a reputable dealer that offers a refund on defective scanners like Scanner Master! (y)

They do not charge for shipping the scanner to you. So if you have to return it, you only pay shipping on the return. Very reasonable and fair.

ScubaJungle

I am considering buying one as well (when I can find one for a not so ridiculous and inflated price), and I agree that a $600 scanner should not have ANY problems.
From my research, it seems that most of the issues were resolved and that it isn't as it was during the initial release, however, people still report issues. The thing is though, the SDS has a lot of filters and things other scanners don't, so it's hard to say for sure whether many of these existing issues are user error or unit issues.

One thing, though, that I don't understand is why some people get almost offended by the idea that SDS scanners have had issues - and this is not to anyone in this thread, just in general throughout the forums.
Assuming every product is bad because of one bad unit is unfair and ridiculous - yes! But, there have been MANY more than just one bad report. They are all over the internet, outside of radioreference too.
Spending $600-700 on something is not a small purchase, so it's reasonable to assume a greater deal of scrutiny on the product and any of its issues when it costs that much.

I've been thinking about the SDS since February now and I have finally come to the conclusion that I will get one as soon as the price is right.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
I've purchased 7 SDS200 scanners from an assortment of dealers, 3 for myself and 4 purchased and set up for others in my area. Some were purchased in early 2020, but all date codes were from 2019, and not one problem with hum, screen flicker, or any other problems.

Well you're lucky. I got mine in early 2020 as well but it has the hum.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
One thing, though, that I don't understand is why some people get almost offended by the idea that SDS scanners have had issues - and this is not to anyone in this thread, just in general throughout the forums.

They are known as Fanboys and pop up in support of many manufacturers, Uniden fanboys being some of the most rabid.

Status
Not open for further replies.