• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Hater PD565 Firmware Update Procedure

RichardDay

Hi,

I'm trying to update the firmware on a PD565. Having switched the cable to 'DL' and connected the radio, the update package still doesn't show any available USB port.

Reading online, I came across some instructions for another PD series radio saying that it has to be put into update mode by powering on with the PTT and 'top orange button' held down - but the 565 doesn't have a top button!

I've tried various other key combinations to no avail. Is anyone able to advise how to enable update mode on this radio?

Many thanks,

Rich

Usually the no port found error is from the PC/cable and does not have anything to do with the radio.
I have problems with programming cables going offline right after a read or maybe 2 or 3 writes/clones.

I try putting the cable in a different port and that usually works but sometimes i have to log off and on to get the cable to be recognized.
Someday this will happen when I have time to look at the usb port properties and see if I find any errors.

If there is no power on button sequence listed the DL position is supposed to be all you need.

RichardDay

Thanks for the info!

I've had no problems with programming - it's only the firmware update that is causing issues. I've tried multiple ports and reboots, without success. Have now arranged to borrow another PC to eliminate any USB controller / software compatibility issues.

P.S. Autocorrect did indeed reflect my feelings at the time. I don't think I can edit the post title now though!

RichardDay

Just to update in case it helps anyone else...

I tried a different PC, initially with the same result, so I went back to trying various power on key combinations. PTT + SK1 put it into update mode (blank screen and flashing red LED), and the firmware update was successful. Not sure why it didn't work the first time, as that was the first key combination I tried!