Hatzalah

Status
Not open for further replies.

crackerjohn

Hi:

Does anyone know anything about the volunteer EMS agency called Hatzalah in northwest Baltimore? What kind of radios do they use? How are their ambulances? What hospitals do they go to? I noticed there are a few frequencies, how do they use them. Do the members have to buy their own radios? Do they have lights and sirens in their own cars like in other states? How many paramedics, EMTs and dispatchers? Are they in the 911 system? What is the relationship between other EMS agencies/fire departments/police? How their response is times pf responders and the ambulance response? Do the dispatchers work 8 hour shifts and how many hours a week or month? Where are they located?
Thanks,

Crackerjohn

riveter

Premium Subscriber
I think a lot of those questions are better asked to them directly.... sounds like a lot of pre-employment questions.

ocguard

Premium Subscriber
Hi:

Does anyone know anything about the volunteer EMS agency called Hatzalah in northwest Baltimore? What kind of radios do they use? How are their ambulances? What hospitals do they go to? I noticed there are a few frequencies, how do they use them. Do the members have to buy their own radios? Do they have lights and sirens in their own cars like in other states? How many paramedics, EMTs and dispatchers? Are they in the 911 system? What is the relationship between other EMS agencies/fire departments/police? How their response is times pf responders and the ambulance response? Do the dispatchers work 8 hour shifts and how many hours a week or month? Where are they located?
Thanks,

Crackerjohn

The have at least 3 very nice but diversely designed ambulances.

They almost always go to Sinai as this hospital caters especially to their religion and culture, but I'd imagine they would go to a specialty center if needed. I've never heard them go anywhere but Sinai.

Last I knew, they used a UHF repeater, but never bothered to listen and don't know if they've switched. DMR seems to be the trend of such operations. No idea if they buy their own radios. In the past, I've seen them use many styles of UHF portables.

The do respond with their POV to the scene, but there response area is VERY small. They do not have lights and sirens on their POVs.

I have no idea how many members they have, but they have all levels of providers including physicians who have the privilege to practice within their agency.

When their dispatcher receives a call for service, the responding ambulance notifies Baltimore City Fire Communications of the location and nature of their response, and the call is tracked by BCFD CAD as the ambulance arrives and transports. Each of their units is equipped with a BCFD radio which can also operate on selected Baltimore County FD talk groups.

They are technically a part of the Maryland EMS system, but I've honestly never heard them be requested, or offer, to respond to a "regular" 911 EMS call.

The frequently interact with BCFD medics and fire units, as many of their "customers" will also call 911, and sometimes their units aren't available.

No idea about their shifts, or the location of their station.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I have never heard of this organization before. Is EMS service so bad in Baltimore to warrant a private EMS provider? As far as the religious / cultural aspect, is there some sort or religious practice or law in play here, or is this more akin to the Red Cross or Salvation Army - or volunteer rescue squads? I think B-CC Rescue Squad in Montgomery County - Upper NW Washington have there own dispatcher for donors, supplementing the county EOC, but are also a public 911 EMS provider responsible for a first due area in the county, and supplemental coverage in DC.

gesucks

Premium Subscriber
"They are technically a part of the Maryland EMS system"

A little correction here. There are 2 parts to the EMS system in Maryland.
1. Operational EMS Agency
2. Commercial EMS Service

Operation is a Public Safety agency that can do 911 type calls. This also includes Law enforcement agencies.
Commercial Services are licensed separately are not 911 agencies. Unless something has changed, Hatzalah in Baltimore is a Commercial Service. One of the give-a-ways is the Licence sticker on the back on the units. The other is the "Class B" license plate. This is for Commercial Ambulance and limos in MD. Look at the unit on the left in this photo.

https://hatzalahbaltimore.org/portfolio-item/hatzalahs-working-together/

Status
Not open for further replies.