Status
Not open for further replies.

FDNY216

Was JETBLUE1424
Does anyone know if Hatzolah NYC is going P-25 Digital on VHF 160.280

Any feed back

weathermedic

Premium Subscriber
Don't know about p-25 digital, but I have noticed some of the Brooklyn south (Flatbush) units wearing new Motorola XPR 3000 series radios. Not p25 capable but DMR (Mototrbo) capable.

Danny37

Is there a UHF simulcast? Because I see these guys with UHF radios too, judging from the thin whip antenna.

FDNY216

Was JETBLUE1424
Re

The system is simplex and I do not think digital will work so well with the buildings in the B area and other parts plus the system works great as is and for them to use a repeater not going to happen

The probably had to upgrade so to the HT series will be phased out.

So it looks like analogue is the best bet for them

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
The system is simplex and I do not think digital will work so well with the buildings in the B area and other parts plus the system works great as is and for them to use a repeater not going to happen

The probably had to upgrade so to the HT series will be phased out.

So it looks like analogue is the best bet for them

Digital will work the same places analog works......

N2YQT

Ambulance Driver
Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't be surprised to see them using DMR. Cheaper (I mean come on) and very easy to network with other DMR systems tha may be in used by other Hatzolah agencies.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Hatzolah has just invested in new repeaters across the area (NYC, Orange, Sullivan) which are all simulcast on 160.280. While the repeaters are capable of P25, and they have P25 emission designators licensed...it's unlikely that any change would occur soon.

They do have some UHF frequencies licensed, although I'm not sure if they're using them for link frequencies or other purposes. Or it could simply be that the guys you've seen with UHF whip antennas don't like the larger, thicker VHF antennas, and have swapped them out putting comfort over performance.

Danny37

wouldnt that damage the radio to use a uhf antenna on a vhf radio? ive seen people use 800mhz antennas on uhf radios before

Septa3371CSX1

wouldnt that damage the radio to use a uhf antenna on a vhf radio? ive seen people use 800mhz antennas on uhf radios before

An antenna is an antenna when it comes down to it. Using a UHF antenna for VHF is not impossible. The downside is the signal coming out will be weaker than if the proper length antenna was used.

FDNY216

Was JETBLUE1424
Can anyone confirm if the XPRt 3000 are being carried by any other hatzola groups lol ke the Flatbush units

Rred

"wouldnt that damage the radio to use a uhf antenna on a vhf radio?
ive seen people use 800mhz antennas on uhf radios before"

Contrary to Hollywood, you cannot tell what an antenna is just by looking at it.
An 800MHz antenna *is* a UHF antenna, there's nothing off about that.
But if you look at the parts catalogue from any major company (i.e. Motorola) you'll see that their UHF and VHF handheld antennas are often color-coded, because they come in "stubby" and "regular" lengths for both UHF and VHF and the two can be nearly identical.

Rubberized handheld antennas are usually helically wound antennas with a much longer wavelength than the physical length of the antenna. And just as with ham radio antennas, one rubber duck can be tuned to work as both a 2m. VHF antenna AND a 70cm. UHF antenna. It is 1/4 wave for one and 5/8 wave for the other, but that's not a real problem. It is "tuned" for acceptable performance on both UHF and VHF.

But yes, if you had a tuned UHF antenna that wasn't co-incidentally "tuned" for VHF, it could produce a high SWR and that could ruin the VHF radio. More likely, a modern radio would dial back power and just transmit very poorly, if at all, while still receiving. Not so much "ruined" but made useless. Older dumber radios would, yes, burn themselves out.

Danny37

It used to bother me when cops would purposely bend their radio antennas so it would stay out of the way some would even use rubber bands to bend it over and form a loop shape. Not sure if it would damage the radio but I can imagine it affected performance.

weathermedic

Premium Subscriber
Can anyone confirm if the XPRt 3000 are being carried by any other hatzola groups lol ke the Flatbush units

I've seen the 3000's on some other NYC units. I have been told by a Queens member that some of their members have purchased the 3000's on their own.

I will try and get more info and post here.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Those gentlemen are famous (infamous?) for going out on their own and buying all sorts of equipment, including out-of-band antennas, simply because they find something better they like.

They weren't even fully operational on the Rockland system, and were already said to be buying aftermarket antennas off eBay and Amazon because the stock APX 700 MHz antenna "was too big", and they wanted flexible whips or stubbies instead. Forget the fact that they were buying VHF or UHF antennas, as long as they looked good! :roll:

Just as long as they don't complain that there's something wrong with the system or coverage, because they're using an antenna never meant for the band, or in the case of the stubby 700, of sub-optimal design.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Those gentlemen are famous (infamous?) for going out on their own and buying all sorts of equipment, including out-of-band antennas, simply because they find something better they like.

They weren't even fully operational on the Rockland system, and were already said to be buying aftermarket antennas off eBay and Amazon because the stock APX 700 MHz antenna "was too big", and they wanted flexible whips or stubbies instead. Forget the fact that they were buying VHF or UHF antennas, as long as they looked good! :roll:

Just as long as they don't complain that there's something wrong with the system or coverage, because they're using an antenna never meant for the band, or in the case of the stubby 700, of sub-optimal design.

Well that system works so good that those out of band antennas will probably work. I've seen first hand a 8000 with just a UHF only antenna key that system from Middletown from inside of a building

Status
Not open for further replies.