Have a BC 55XLT what should I upgrade to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BearcatAndy

Hello, first off Im new here! :) Anyway, as of right now I have a old Uniden Bearcat BC 55XLT. Im looking to upgrade!! I live in Western Mass, I dont really know trhe diffrence between digital and analog (?). Im asking if anyone can explain that for me. What is a good, cheep model to upgrade to?

crayon

RF Cartography Ninja
Database Admin
BearcatAndy,

Welcome to the group! :)

The diff between digital and analog is this:

With digital, spoken voice is converted into one's and zero's and then transmitted. There is a ton of benfits to doing this too. Error correction, less bandwidth, encryption of digital voice is eaiser, etc.

And with analog, basically nothing is done to spoken voice before it is transmitted.

As far as a radio suggestion, that depends on how much you are willing to spend what you really would like to listen to. The RR Wiki has a great listing of different models and what they can do. Check it out.

HTH's

Rico8458

crayon said:
BearcatAndy,

Welcome to the group! :)

The diff between digital and analog is this:

With digital, spoken voice is converted into one's and zero's and then transmitted. There is a ton of benfits to doing this too. Error correction, less bandwidth, encryption of digital voice is eaiser, etc.

And with analog, basically nothing is done to spoken voice before it is transmitted.

As far as a radio suggestion, that depends on how much you are willing to spend what you really would like to listen to. The RR Wiki has a great listing of different models and what they can do. Check it out.
HTH's

Copy that. Digital is using the binary system. just like your computer. I am new here too and I will be going with the BC246T as a starter scanner for a noob. :)

Last edited:

BearcatAndy

Thanks, again.

Thanks, I will check that one out to. I find myself listening to police/ air traffic via internet since my BC55XLT cant pick any of it up (!@#$%^*) so I really need to upgrade but a little low on cash, so this gives me time to do the research before buying! :)

nexus

An elaboration on this....

With a "non" digital capable scanner, when you tune into an agency's frequency who is using digital, it will just sound like a bunch of static with pulsing sounds in the background. And that is all you'll hear. But the digital capable scanner like the Uniden BCD-396 or the Radio Shack PRO-96 will be able to receive that digital signal, and convert it back into voice audio. Digital sounds a LOT different than an analog signal. Analog is what the scanner you have picks up now. It has a tinty high pitch, or natural sounding tone to it. But a digital signal sounds kind of muffled, there is no hiss, you don't hear any high tone in the voice. But its a very clean signal. And you'll pick up a digital signal a lot further than you would an analog one.

OK getting a little off track there. You said Western MA... Looking at the database, MA State Police is using a motorola II digital system. so you'd need a digital capable scanner in order to listen to them. But for something like Franklin County, you wouldn't need a trunktracking scanner at all, they're using just plain UHF (450mhz), Hampden County is mostly VHF and UHF, so nothing special. Hampshire is the same. Looking at most of the counties in MA they're still using VHF and UHF. Exceptions being the state police. So unless you're really interested in listening to them, I'd say a good choice would be the RADIO SHACK PRO-97 (which is on sale right now for $149.95) It's a trunktracking scanner that is fairly new with a lot of great features at a very good price. BUT it lacks digital. Really though, it looks like MSP is the only ones using that technology.

If you want it, expect to shell out $520 for one though.

Last edited:

BearcatAndy

Alrighty!! I have to have a digital, trunk tracking scanner no doubt for this area, (now w/ research I know) but $$$ is short so I guess I still have to use my BC55XLT (!@#$%^&*)

nexus

Keep checking Radio Shack for sales. Sometimes they put the PRO-96 and PRO-2096 on sale. Regular price is $499. If you want to keep with uniden get the BCD-396T. www.usascan.com has it for $519 shipped. It's a shame that only ONE agency has to ruin it for you. But hey, look on the bright side. At least they didn't buy EDACS PROVOICE!!! No scanner will pick those up. Like me over here, an entire county is PROVOICE and that's 6 police departments including the one I work for, and a sheriff's office that I nor any other scanning hobbiest can monitor. So it could of been worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.