• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Have technical question

Status
Not open for further replies.

aQ

Hello everyone
First of all, I apologize if I posted this thread in wrong place.
Here is the situation we have, we travel to former soviet union countries like kyrgyzstan, kazakhstan, azerbaijan etc.
Mobile communications are widely used but are very expensive, we used to bring our cell phones and just used international roaming but it was so expensive we decided to get sim cards for every country. We have a group of 3-5 guys we do researching for a private company here in us, but wanted to find the cheapest way for communications overseas, is trunking a better option?
What if we just get the equipment here in us, since everything is way cheaper than buying it all there, will the equipment we buy work there?
Do we have to get fcc license, or like licenses for each country? Do you know anyone offering this kind of services for these countries?
I am not a tech. geek so please give me a break for 1st time
Regards

RKG

This is not a comprehensive answer, but:

1) In general, transmitting in foreign countries is a no-no. Your U.S. license isn't any good and the country in question probably won't issue you one, even if you were going to be there long enough to go through the hassle.

2) In general, foreign LMR schemes are totally incompatible with those used in the United States (and the equipment available here): TETRA, etc.

3) In general, most foreign countries maintain a monopoly over wireless phone services, or tax and regulate them so heavily that, in either case, they have a vested interest in not allowing "roamers" who can operate around them.

4) For those whose mission can bear the cost, the best bet is Iridium.

aQ

We did use Iridium but it wasnt cost effective.
Anyway I appreciate your input.

SCPD

QRT
Distance

We did use Iridium but it wasnt cost effective.
Anyway I appreciate your input.

So how far apart are you people going to be from each other. I mean, are you like traveling the countryside, miles and miles apart? Or is this comms at a job site? Or what?

aQ

Mostly in the city, some occasional countryside. Average distance would be 20-50 miles probably at the most.
We took these 2 way radios with us, that claimed to work as far as 28 miles :) It was 5-8 city blocks. I dont know, other freq. interferences maybe?!
Thanks a lot for your help

aQ

Good evening
Just found a company who provides trunking services in these countries, their standard is mrt 1327 and freq. is 400-430.
Wondering If I can purchase portable radios here, since they cost a fortune overseas?
They offer motorola gp 640-688, is there compatible model I can get?
Thanks a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.