Have you seen..... Newark

Status
Not open for further replies.

VPD24193

Has anyone ealse ever seen newark PD units with lights on there personal vehicles? Idc really but is it legal

ResQguy

Meh
I would think someone that implies they are affiliated with NJ law enforcement would be familiar with Title-39

VPD24193

I have seen it a few times atleast 3 outside the ROCK (purdential center) the most resent was a black dodge charger with a cop in it it had civillian plates its hazards on and one cigar plug dash light same on a dodge intrepid

robbinsj2

For a quasi job I would guess those are unmarked "company" cars but even if they are POVs the lights are still being used in a semi-official capacity so I don't know what the big deal is.

Do you have reason to believe that emergency lights are prohibited in law enforcement officers' POVs unlike fire/EMS workers (with permits)? ResQguy was suggesting that you, if you're affiliated with law enforcement as your avatar and userid and signature imply, would be in a better position to know the law than many of us.

FLRAILMAN

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Have you seen.....Newark

NJSDMV Title 39 does not address law enforcement officers personal vehicles. Title: 39:3-54.0 to 39:3-54.13 & Title: 39:3-54.15 to 39:3-54.22 addresses the rules, regulations & requirements regarding the possession, use & permitting of emergency warning lights, sirens & operator identification of same under the umbrella of fire, ems & emergency management personnel only. VPD24193s avatar, signature & user ID does not in anyway imply that he is law enforcement, so cut him some slack. Another thing, I would strongly discourage anyone from approaching any "Newark" cop with any foolish questions or uninformed accusations about the law as you feel it should apply to them in regard to any emergency equipment in any vehicle they are in close proximity to or sitting in, because if you are lucky, you'll just get your feelings hurt, just leave it alone.

FLRAILMAN

Last edited:

PJH

Premium Subscriber
It just might be me...

But a black Dodge Charger, with a cop sitting inside of it could be be a clue that it might as well as be a police vehicle intended to blend in with the rest of the motoring public. A Dodge Intrepid was also a common police vehicle used in marked and unmarked patrol duties.

Your orginal post implied that there was more to this.

Your signatures also imply that your conencted to law enforcement (in New Jersey) which also severly impacts crediability to your post.

Not all police vehicles are required to have government/municpal plates. In fact, my state agency runs with all normal passenger plates (a fleet of over 1000 police vehicles). Only our ESU/FMO/large support vehicles have state plates.

NJFIREPIX

Newark has many undercover vehicles. Not just Chargers and Intrepids. There are also numerous policing and federal agencies working in Newark with undercover vehicles. I am sure that they have plates that are registered to their department but don't have MG or SP type prefixes.. The bad guys can spot those a mile away. I would have to say that they are legit.

Tech792

Most likely the vehicles have "confidential plates".....which LE agencies sometimes use on unmarked cars. If you try to get a look-up on them they come back as "not issued". We use them here in my town.

Status
Not open for further replies.