• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Haven't done this in 10 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

hfflunki

My friend gave me an old tube base siltronixx 1011d I don't know we're to look I'm in west MI and have had a idea of what channels are on. in the past when I lived in mid Michigan it was 4. but the only one I can find around here is the skip station 6. And I can't find a mic for this or a manuel.
And I'm I'm using a tram 4ft mag as indoor

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

JayMojave

Hello all: For the Siltronixx 1011D see:

Siltronix Model 1011D

Again that's to cbtricks.com

That's a oldie but goodie radio, its a good possibility it may need the power supply filter capacitors replaced, and a tune up, since its 35 to 40 years old.

Yep ya gotta have a good antenna. Its the physics of getting out and hearing. If you want to play one must pay. Look up Hy-Gain SPT 500 Penetrator 500 Antenna and LMR400 coax.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert.... Its 27 degrees F here this morning, who needs Alaska

TheSpaceMann

My friend gave me an old tube base siltronixx 1011d I don't know we're to look I'm in west MI and have had a idea of what channels are on. in the past when I lived in mid Michigan it was 4. but the only one I can find around here is the skip station 6. And I can't find a mic for this or a manuel.
And I'm I'm using a tram 4ft mag as indoor

First off, get yourself a good outdoor antenna! You can buy an A-99, or even build a simple 11 meter ground plane! Loads of instructions are online.

hfflunki

Used to have all that and a disc one for scanning had to move to the city no where to set stuff like this up .wasn't planning on talking mabey finding active channels and hook up a mobile .I still have a mobile tweaked can put out 7 wats

bharvey2

An outdoor antenna is a must. As noted above, you can build one pretty easily. I did so when I was a kid out of fiberglass rods and hollow braid. (Like that used in some coax) It was easy to do and worked like a charm. BTW, Where in Western Michigan do you live? My wife grew up in the Dowagiac/Niles area just north of South Bend, IN.

hfflunki

Around Muskegon area lots of antenna issues with my area and I'm disabled and may be in residential soon so I just put the antenna on a windowsill I might have to use it for something else then thanks at least its outside

bharvey2

I've never been up that far along the coast of Lake Michigan. Holland is about as far as I've been. I have made it to the U.P. though. Well, as far as the antenna goes, it sounds like you might be in a tough spot. I'd think you'd do okay with 2m / 70cm HAM though. Maybe even make it across the lake of conditions are right. I assume from your user name that you're a HAM?

hfflunki

No,I'm or was a HF swl both ham and broadcast. QSL collector.antenna experiment or.mW dxer and still belong to the NRC.honestly I don't really know much about cb .my caretaker kept hassling me about late night s on the radio and I sold about 6 radios in 2 months to universal. I plan on buying a RTL SDR for my tablet since this didn't work out.

Dan,

That's a very nice radio. Many years ago, I had the Swan 6 meter version. I wish I still had it.

Like everyone else says, I've got to say put an outside antenna up. It doesn't need to be fancy. Make a dipole. It should do fine when the band opens up. You are very limited with that magnetic mount antenna inside, and you'll pick up more noise than anything.

As far as who's on what, you'll need to tune around. I'm not up on CB, myself. I just listen in the car when we're driving the Interstates anymore.

Best of luck!

bharvey2

Bad guess on my part. I though the HF in your user name referred to HAM. I wasn't thinking SW. I have a number of RTL SDR dongles. I bought one to use on my Nexus tablet and it worked fine for a while although I didn't use it down in the low bands. I think you need a down converter for that. If it interests you, you might consider getting your HAM tech license. It isn't too difficult and you can study online. The exam runs around $15 and the license lasts 10 years. The cost of entry for a handheld could be less that $50 if you wish to go with a chinese handheld radio. There are a number of 2m/70cm repeaters in your area too. I'm not much of a CB guy either. I lost interest by the 80's and very rarely fire up any old CB radios.

TheSpaceMann

It's tough where you are in an apartment and can't put up an antenna on the roof. You can however, put two 9 foot whips out the window that can act like a dipole or a partial ground plane! :)

TheSpaceMann

By the way, you can hear loads of Ham transmissions with free online SDRs! Just go to: WebSDR.org

hfflunki

Well I haven't given up yet bought a steel stand for the mobile mount and saved my old Texas ranger dx236 but needs a mic so I bought one also got a meeter

hfflunki

Its a 296 dx I can reach 15 mile radius after metering everything out it works better I live in a resort town so cb is sketchy in the winter. But I've picked up skip all the way from all over the us living right on lake Michigan my air band scanner picks up Milwaukee and green bay
I put the mobile mount on a steel barstool
If anyone around Whitehall Montagu talks send me a private message so I know what channel to get on

Last edited:

TheSpaceMann

You can build a CB ground plane for just a few bucks! It would substantially increase your range. Lots of plans for them are online!

hfflunki

Were do I find a mic I have a mixer can I just set up a ptt xlr and a balencend out to mic or do I have to find a sure 444 that works

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.