Havent scanned in many years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Scanners,
I use to be a very active member of the Yahoo Group 7202! I'm curious if members here were ever part of the 7202 Yahoo group?
Anyways I have a BC 245XLT scanner, from what I've read it sounds like this radio wont work any more with newer systems, is this true? I hardly remember how to program the scanner. I'd like to get back in to listening to the scanner if thats even possible anymore.
The BC 245XLT will accept E1, E2 800, E2 900, E2 HI, E2 UHF, and Ed

m00se

The UCA System underwent Rebanding so unfortunately your scanner wont work with the system anymore. There is always the smartphone apps that let you listen to someone streaming audio from their scanner if you want to listen. Look into SDR, for $30 you can get a usb dongle for a computer that will let you listen to trunked radio systems with some free software.

What do I need to look for when buying a new scanner so I can listen through a hand held?
I would like to buy a new scanner, I’ve been looking at the BC75 but I’m not sure it will work.

I appreciate the help but $500 is a bit out of my price range, bummer. That looks like a very nice handheld though. I was hoping to be in the under $150 range but I guess things are different now....

I was hoping the BC75xlt would work but I don’t think it will, the Uniden site isn’t very informative

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I was hoping the BC75xlt would work but I don’t think it will, the Uniden site isn’t very informative
No, your BC75XLT will not work. It's not a trunking scanner, and it cannot decode digital transmissions. The Wiki page linked by doctordialtone shows the capabilities of the 75XLT. While the UCA is a Motorola Type 2 system, mostly analog, it does have a few digital talkgroups listed. And as noted above, it has also been rebanded.
I appreciate the help but $500 is a bit out of my price range, bummer. That looks like a very nice handheld though. I was hoping to be in the under $150 range but I guess things are different now....
Whistler has a "scratch & dent" sale, $140.00, on a WS1040, which would handle your rebanded system. It also will monitor P25 Phase I digital trunked systems, and the few digital talkgroups on UCA. There's also a refurbished WS1040 on their webpage under Products for $150.00. The WS1040 is a handheld scanner. Other versions of this same scanner were sold by Radio Shack as the Pro-106 and Pro-651. The original model was the PSR500, produced by the now defunct GRE.

The WS1040 (or one of the other equivalent models noted) would not work if a system you are interested in upgraded to P25 Phase II, Taking a quick look at the various trunked systems in Utah, I don't see any current Phase II systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.