Haverford Twp moving to Delcom/Fireboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

DELCOLHFC

The transition should be complete by years end (this year.......finally). My understanding is that a new Police Sector 7 is or will be setup by the County and Fire units (HTBF) may be switched to the current Fire Channel 9. Nor sure if the Ch.9 switch will require the county to modify any tower setups or not. Still some speculation as to Fire dispatch, HTBF may keep their 46.22 dispatch (operated by the County) or they may possibily move over to 46.48.
That was the news bit, next comes my little often repeated rant..........
I personally hope the county uses this change on the fire side to update to a dispatch plan that could make a big improvement to County responders. I have long thought that a migration a to 500MHz dispatch (not just a 'part time patch' like we now have) would be the best choice for the users. It would allow those who carry portables the ability to monitor dispatch (and have them act as pagers) and it would allow for responders to use a voice pager with the ability to switch up to the operations channel to keep abreast of the call staus while responding. We had this type of pager setup back in the 80's but we have "progressed" ourselves out of the ability by having dispatch and ops on different bands.

CommJunkie

I would like to see the current UHF dispatch frequency used full time also. In order to do that, though, they would need to add a few repeaters. They currently only have 1 at the radio room building. The East End of the county benefits greatly from 46.480 still.

DELCOLHFC

CommJunkie said:
I would like to see the current UHF dispatch frequency used full time also. In order to do that, though, they would need to add a few repeaters. They currently only have 1 at the radio room building. The East End of the county benefits greatly from 46.480 still.

Yes they would have to invest in more repeaters (don't really know how many for TOTAL coverage) but it would make good sense, unlike all the money spent (I know a lot of it was in a grant, but it's still our money....) on the crappy VHF Alpha paging system that they spent our money on. Word is that VHF freq and all the current crop of issued pagers will be due for a total overhaul, new freq and all new pagers in the not too distant future. Once again a window of opportunity to upgrade to an all T-Band system. I can only hope........

I too still benifit greatly from 46.48, I still carry my Minitor II, it works EVERY TIME, unlike the Alphas, my Alpha does trip for every call but the amount of jibberish instead of the intended text makes it too frustrating to use as a primary.

Last edited:

ctrabs74

DELCOLHFC said:
The transition should be complete by years end (this year.......finally). My understanding is that a new Police Sector 7 is or will be setup by the County and Fire units (HTBF) may be switched to the current Fire Channel 9. Nor sure if the Ch.9 switch will require the county to modify any tower setups or not. Still some speculation as to Fire dispatch, HTBF may keep their 46.22 dispatch (operated by the County) or they may possibily move over to 46.48.

So that would leave the lone holdout in the DelCom/Fire Board empire to be Media Police. Any word on whether or not Media plans to migrate to DelCom or will they stay where they are with their own dispatchers?

CommJunkie

ctrabs74 said:
So that would leave the lone holdout in the DelCom/Fire Board empire to be Media Police. Any word on whether or not Media plans to migrate to DelCom or will they stay where they are with their own dispatchers?

AFAIK, 98 units are perfectly happy with their own dispatch (who wouldn't be), but I have heard rumor that they will switch if the county moves 71(Newtown), 73(Haverford), 75(Marple) and 76(Radnor) to the new Sector 7, thus freeing up space on Sector 2. I guess we will see when 73 switches over...

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
CommJunkie said:
AFAIK, 98 units are perfectly happy with their own dispatch (who wouldn't be), but I have heard rumor that they will switch if the county moves 71(Newtown), 73(Haverford), 75(Marple) and 76(Radnor) to the new Sector 7, thus freeing up space on Sector 2. I guess we will see when 73 switches over...

If they rearranged, why not move Nether Providence back to Sector 2? They seem to be a better fit there than with Sector 1, no?

CommJunkie

benrussellpa said:
If they rearranged, why not move Nether Providence back to Sector 2? They seem to be a better fit there than with Sector 1, no?

Works for me. They just don't seem to fit. It's like that old Sesame Street song "one of these just doesn't belong here..."

ctrabs74

How busy is Haverford? I would suspect that if you put them in with 71, 75, and 76, that might make for a very busy sector.

Septa3371CSX1

From the times I've monitored Haverford, it can get busy sometimes. I don't usually hear them go their secondary channel (which is shared with the trash trucks - err sanitary waste transport vehicles) all that often. Lookups are done on the main channel. I would say 73 is as busy as the rest of the departments that are going to move to Sector 7.

CommJunkie

ctrabs74 said:
How busy is Haverford? I would suspect that if you put them in with 71, 75, and 76, that might make for a very busy sector.

Busy, yes, but less hectic with only 4 departments on the channel as opposed to 8.

Status
Not open for further replies.