Having a radio sent in for a check.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanmanmi

I've got an older Yaesu FT 757 GX that I bought. I've seen some CB and vintage radio repair videos and was just wondering about it. Are CB shops usually qualified to work on Ham stuff? How much does a recap and tune cost? Any referrals?

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
I suggest contacting Yaesu regarding servicing this rig. I don't know if they will still work on it, but I would start there. A CB shop might or might not be able to work on it. I'd be careful with that option. Also. these radios sell on e-bay for a few hundred dollars. I saw one allegedly tested and in working condition for $380. How much money would you put into it vs buying a more modern transceiver?

W5lz

To do your own repairs you should have some basic knowledge of electronics or a bit more.. Don't start 'twiddling' things without that knowledge, you'll just make things worse. It also requires some equipment most people are unlikely to have.
After that, do what you think you can, hey, it was 'broke' anyway, right?

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
Visit your local ham shop [if you have one] and some can refer you to local techs that have experience in the older gear.

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
it might be cheaper to purchase a new radio rather than refurb and retune something thats is several years old and parts are not available for. why or how do you know that it needs re-tuned and the caps need replaced. i would not trust anyone re-tuning a radio that they nothing about.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
A reputable shop is going to charge you $50-75/hour. The time it takes to "recap" will depend on how many electrolytic capacitors there are to replace, whether or not they need to be replaced (considering that the radio is probably 35 years old, it could be all of them), and how difficult it is to get to the leads with a soldering iron. Plus parts. Plus alignment time.

As others have mentioned, it may not be worth it.

k7ng

Electronics professional
Premium Subscriber
A web search should find a number of folks who do Yaesu repairs, some who specialize in that product line. Maybe half of them will gladly discuss repair & refurb options, the other half will be miffed at being interrupted from whatever. Not to say that the grumpy ones don't do good work.

I owned a 757GX once, and I believe it's still in service in someone else's setup. However, there may be a number of refurb needs that are expensive, which leads me to echo what others have said: A new entry-level transceiver, or a gently-used one of near-current production might get you more bang for the buck. Trust me, the 757GX was a fine radio 30 years ago but I wouldn't have one as my first & only HF transceiver today. Maybe 2nd or 3rd.

Golay

I've got an older Yaesu FT 757 GX that I bought. I've seen some CB and vintage radio repair videos and was just wondering about it. Are CB shops usually qualified to work on Ham stuff? How much does a recap and tune cost? Any referrals?
You're going to have to do some digging on this because I lost the contact info. I went to Dayton about 4 years ago.
Probably the last year it was at the Hara so maybe it was a little longer.
There was a guy at the Yaesu booth. I had asked him about doing some work on a Ft-847.
The two knobs. (anyone familiar with that radio know there are two knobs that want to act flaky after awhile).
Anyway, he gave me a card with an address in Michigan to send Yaesu repairs to. Seems it was around Battle Creek.
It was one of the larger towns you would of heard of along 94 on the west side of the state. I got the impression it was a factory Yaesu repair shop. Good luck. Wish I still had the contact info for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.