having issue with bcd996xt

Status
Not open for further replies.

buddd

hello im having a issue with a bcd996xt and was wondering if anyone could answer a question for me

i have a channel that i can not hear anything on,like its scrambled,i get all p-25 just fine,but 1 channel i programmed in,and it shows the nac is 293 but i can never hear anything,it sounds scrambled

the freq is 460.4250,its a old cincy pd freq before they went to trunking,someone now using it,and i would like to hear whats going on,as it may be a news channel or something

how come it receives every p-25 channel but this one,and or how can i get this channel ??

thanks in advance

sjlamb

hello im having a issue with a bcd996xt and was wondering if anyone could answer a question for me

i have a channel that i can not hear anything on,like its scrambled,i get all p-25 just fine,but 1 channel i programmed in,and it shows the nac is 293 but i can never hear anything,it sounds scrambled

the freq is 460.4250,its a old cincy pd freq before they went to trunking,someone now using it,and i would like to hear whats going on,as it may be a news channel or something

how come it receives every p-25 channel but this one,and or how can i get this channel ??

thanks in advance

Maybe it IS scrambled. Not uncommon at all.

buddd

if it unscrambles all the other channels how come it wont just the 1 channel,it shows the nac being used so i figured it would unscramble it auto ?

SkipSanders

Silent Key
The only licensee in Ohio for 460.425 is the City of Cincinnati, so that's most likely who is using it.

Quite possibly one of their 'detective' type groups is using it encrypted, and perhaps simplex.

SkipSanders

Silent Key
Buddd, 'decode' is not the same as 'decrypt'.

P25 is digitally encoded. Said digitally encoded signal may then be encrypted, which makes it impossible to listen to unless you have a suitable decryption module, and the decryption key.

Decrypting the signal, if it is encrypted, would be illegal anyway, unless you have permission from the licensee, and if you did, they'd have given you the needed radio.

P25 is a method of digital modulation. Encryption is a way of scrambling the signal so it cannot be monitored by simply decoding the modulation.

The 396T, for instance, would show 'Enc' instead of 'P25' on the display for an encrypted signal.

buddd

thanks for clearing that up,its a bcd996xt and it says enc when they talk,i wasnt sure as it was a public frequency,but im sure your right,thanks again,it was wierd as i hear all other " private detective " channels but that 1,thanks again

sjlamb

thanks for clearing that up,its a bcd996xt and it says enc when they talk,i wasnt sure as it was a public frequency,but im sure your right,thanks again,it was wierd as i hear all other " private detective " channels but that 1,thanks again

That 'ENC' that you're seeing is your confirmation that this freq. is being encrypted (scrambled). As already noted; entirely protected from being monitored by ANY scanner. The fact that you hear other detective channels simply is due to the fact that they have been kind enough not to encrypt them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.