Having issues trying to scan / find Salem Fire dispatch

Status
Not open for further replies.

wheels1911

I have the SDS100 and should be able to scan Salem fire but for some reason, I can't figure out where it is in the sentinel software

kd7jfv

Database Admin
Salem A & B towers are the legacy Motorola system that they're going away from. A lot of city services are still on the "A" tower system. A tower was out in South Salem, B tower is in Keizer. They're not linked together so Keizer PD is on B tower.

wheels1911

Salem A & B towers are the legacy Motorola system that they're going away from. A lot of city services are still on the "A" tower system. A tower was out in South Salem, B tower is in Keizer. They're not linked together so Keizer PD is on B tower.

I see.

Thanks much.

I just wish everyone would go to P25 already it sounds so clear with little to no squelchy static.

Im going to completely delete off Salem A tower from my Fav list then, Before this I thought it was fire.

and avoid the "Keizer Police" on the "Salem P25" since its usless

Hey I see your from the bend area, me and my wife just got back from a sisters trip like 3 days ago. Seems like most of Deschutes county is encrypted how long has that been like that?

kd7jfv

Database Admin
I would not avoid KPD off of the Salem P25 system as they'll be on the Salem p25 system soon.

All Deschutes county law agencies are encrypted. They have been that way since the P25 system came online.

wheels1911

I would not avoid KPD off of the Salem P25 system as they'll be on the Salem p25 system soon.

All Deschutes county law agencies are encrypted. They have been that way since the P25 system came online.

Running into another weird situation now when trying to scan Salem Fire. I keep missing transmissions

My SDS100 Seems to get stuck on a control channel and not move between all of the "Site 1" For example

Site 1
851.100851.600852.050852.2625c853.950c856.4375c858.8625c

It's stuck only on 858.8625c, it's not flowing between all of site 1. It almost like 858.8625c is constantly transmitting and it's not letting the scanner change to a different freq the RSSI is also constantly moving

and while it's stuck there a tab will pop up saying P25 NAC:8E1h like every second.

Attachments

• scanner 2.jpg
    scanner 2.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

wheels1911

Furthermore, I would like to make Salem Fire a priority channel. But doing some small research I guess making a Digital frequency have any priority is hard.

This is what I did can you check it for me.

Attachments

• prio 1.PNG
    prio 1.PNG
    49.4 KB · Views: 2
  • prio 2.PNG
    prio 2.PNG
    54 KB · Views: 3

wheels1911

My SDS100 seems to be stuck on one frequency inside of a P25 site and won't scan the other control channels

RFSSSiteNameFreqs
0 (0)001 (1)Site 1851.100851.600852.050852.2625c853.950c856.4375c858.8625c

When doing a channel hold to try and hear my local fire department. my SDS100 is holding on 858.8625c only! It's not scanning threw the other 3 control channels. Because of this, I keep missing nearly every fire call out.

It almost seems like 858.8625c is constantly broadcasting because it's constantly refreshing the RSSI and because of that it doesn't want to scan. Of course Im, not an expert so im probably wrong, it just feels like that is what it's doing

Oh its also constantly displaying P25 NAC: 8E1h over and over again.

Attachments

• scanner 2.jpg
    scanner 2.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 14

wheels1911

It sounds like you have it in conventional scan mode, not trunked.

You know I might. Where do I find that option at?

also not all my favorites list is trunked systems. in fact, most are still analog waiting to move to trunking P25. If I move my scan mode to trunked will I still hear them?

wheels1911

Yes I would start with the new system select p25 option then only put in the the one control channel and see if it picked up a site it and starts to work

Im sorry man I don't understand what you mean by start with the new system select p25 option then only. Im new to all this

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Running into another weird situation now when trying to scan Salem Fire. I keep missing transmissions

My SDS100 Seems to get stuck on a control channel and not move between all of the "Site 1" For example

Site 1
851.100851.600852.050852.2625c853.950c856.4375c858.8625c

It's stuck only on 858.8625c, it's not flowing between all of site 1. It almost like 858.8625c is constantly transmitting and it's not letting the scanner change to a different freq the RSSI is also constantly moving

and while it's stuck there a tab will pop up saying P25 NAC:8E1h like every second.
From your picture, it appears that you have the scanner holding on the Salem system (I say that because the name is highlighted). If you are holding on the system, the scanner is going to park itself on the active control channel until there is activity on one of the talkgroups you've programmed. Your graphic also indicates you are scanning in ID Scanning mode. Do you have all of the talkgroups you want to hear programmed, and have you verified that all of the related Service Types are enabled?

Did you append the system from the main database, or enter it manually? If entered manually, are you using location control? If so, with location data (when programmed manually), the scanner will treat systems and/or sites as if they are out in the Atlantic Ocean, obviously out of range.

P25 NAC:8E1h is popping up since you do not have it programmed (the NAC for the site is not entered in the database details). With Sentinel in the correct model setting for the SDS100, add the NAC to the site details (under the Options tab for the site itself, not the System). Also, submit the NAC to the database so that can be updated.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Furthermore, I would like to make Salem Fire a priority channel. But doing some small research I guess making a Digital frequency have any priority is hard.

This is what I did can you check it for me.
To set a Priority Channel on a trunked system, you have to set the talkgroup itself as a Priority. (The P-Ch field should be ON.)

But you also have to enable the system itself to recognize a channel priority. That setting is under the Options tab for the system, not for a site or department,

Using Priority on a trunked system TGID, the scanner will only check for usage on the selected priority channels when it is scanning the system. It will not check if it is currently scanning a different trunked system, or conventional systems.

wheels1911

From your picture, it appears that you have the scanner holding on the Salem system (I say that because the name is highlighted). If you are holding on the system, the scanner is going to park itself on the active control channel until there is activity on one of the talk groups you've programmed. Your graphic also indicates you are scanning in ID Scanning mode. Do you have all of the talk groups you want to hear programmed, and have you verified that all of the related Service Types are enabled?

Did you append the system from the main database, or enter it manually? If entered manually, are you using location control? If so, with location data (when programmed manually), the scanner will treat systems and/or sites as if they are out in the Atlantic Ocean, obviously out of range.

P25 NAC:8E1h is popping up since you do not have it programmed (the NAC for the site is not entered in the database details). With Sentinel in the correct model setting for the SDS100, add the NAC to the site details (under the Options tab for the site itself, not the System). Also, submit the NAC to the database so that can be updated.

Correct I was holding on the Salem P25 system. All talk groups are programmed, all service types are enabled correctly.

I got the information for the database (Recently updated) and I programmed inside of Sentinel, Full Database scan is off, Im only using Fav lists.

I just added my NAC in ill add a picture to make sure I did it right.

Oh and question. What is ID Scanning mode? Should that be on? Is that ID: Search?

----------------------------

So everything you mentioned I already had done. Well besides the "NAC".

So I guess my concern/question is why am I missing transmissions still.

Is it just because I was on "Salem P25" system hold? since it only scans the active control channel. I 100% know I was missing transmissons because I opend up the Live audio on my phone and low and behold they were talking and my scanner wasnt.

Attachments

• NAC.PNG
    NAC.PNG
    16.9 KB · Views: 5

wheels1911

So looking at this video and then going into my sentinel I see that I do have it set up for P25.

I don't know what the deal is. Why am I missing transmissions and why is the radio stuck on 858.8625 only

Attachments

• p25 trunk.PNG
    p25 trunk.PNG
    20 KB · Views: 9

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The scanner is in trunked scan mode, that's what the ID Scanning... indicates. So that appears to be setup correctly so far.

P25 trunked systems only have one control channel active at a time, and they normally don't change (rotate) that often. It is correct for the scanner to appear "stuck" on one frequency, because it's sitting on and decoding the control channel. So that behavior is expected.

Because you have the scanner in ID Scan mode, it's only going to scan talkgroups that you have programmed. Do you have all of the talkgroups programmed? I see that you have groups for the Fire and Police departments...please make sure that all of the talkgroups are listed under each group, and that nothing is set to Avoid.

You can also put the scanner into ID Search mode to see if it receives any transmissions. ID Scan = scans only programmed talkgroups, ID Search = scans any talkgroups, including unidentified, unless they are specifically avoided in the programming.

wheels1911

I believe I have everything correct talk group wise.

I'll post the database site Salem P25 Trunking System, Salem, Oregon - Scanner Frequencies.

and my site and talk groups.

all also try out ID search and see if that does anything.

also the Talkgroups for the Police Department are not quite working yet. They are in the process of transiitioning

Attachments

• sight.PNG
    sight.PNG
    15.9 KB · Views: 10
  • talkgroups.PNG
    talkgroups.PNG
    138.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.