BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Having one specific problem - can YOU help me figure it out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't see it in the file you posted...

That's odd, it shows in the sentinel software.

I am so confused at this point I am giving myself a killer headache everytime I try to get this corrected.

Now I have an entry but even though I have 5 departments under it, they don't show and it says 'nothing to scan when '4' is selected for the FQK. All the QK and departments below it are correct as far as I can see.

Can I ask if you can get it to scan anything in this entry? It tells me 'nothing to scan' when the 'RR' is selected. It's all there as far as I can tell.

Attachments

• RR.zip
    926 bytes · Views: 16

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
For your "Jackson" stuff, try the attached. (Unzip, then import the HPE file in Sentinel and program).

I've assigned Quick Keys to the Favorites List and System. I incorporated Quick Key numbers in the FL, System and Department names. This can be helpful. I gave the FL a Favorites List Quick Key of 9 because none of the previous posts mentioned that number. (If you use the same quick key for more than 1 Favorites Lists, you'll get an error.)

Before you program this to your scanner, use the Sentinel Profile Editor and confirm the Download On and Monitor On checkboxes are checked.

I suspect you might notice that the rr Favorites List may not have the Download and Monitor checkboxes checked.

The Download On Checkbox tells Sentinel to download the Favorites Lists to the scanner.

The Monitor On checkbox tells the scanner that you want to monitor (scan) that Favorites List.

If a Favorites List is not Downloaded and told to be monitored, then attempting to do so will cause that "Nothing to Scan" message.

Last edited:
For your "Jackson" stuff, try the attached. (Unzip, then import the HPE file in Sentinel and program).

I've assigned Quick Keys to the Favorites List and System. I incorporated Quick Key numbers in the FL, System and Department names. This can be helpful. I gave the FL a Favorites List Quick Key of 9 because none of the previous posts mentioned that number. (If you use the same quick key for more than 1 Favorites Lists, you'll get an error.)

Before you program this to your scanner, use the Sentinel Profile Editor and confirm the Download On and Monitor On checkboxes are checked.

I suspect you might notice that the rr Favorites List may not have the Download and Monitor checkboxes checked.

The Download On Checkbox tells Sentinel to download the Favorites Lists to the scanner.

The Monitor On checkbox tells the scanner that you want to monitor (scan) that Favorites List.

If a Favorites List is not Downloaded and told to be monitored, then attempting to do so will cause that "Nothing to Scan" message.

Ok thank you I will get to check it out tomorrow afternoon.

On the RR, I did check that option for download and monitor but thank you for telling me to check. I've found sometimes things can be overlooked very easily.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
On the RR, quick key state does not import from hpe, so I cannot tell if any of the FQK/SQK/DQKs were enabled. Otherwise, the file looks fine.

But, again, no thing named "Public Safety..." in that file, either.

bltaylor86

I can't offer help on how to fix your problem but what I can offer is that the method that worked for me is assign only FLQK and nothing else, until you get better at the software and the scanner. My issue I had was that I was putting in trunked systems twice, thinking I was organizing, and no location control. The scanner was trying to monitor 150 sites twice and it overwhelmed my scanner.

Once I did some searching and understanding location control I created a few favorites list and assigned FLQK only with a couple of different locations I switch between when I'm traveling. No other QKs assigned and everything seems to be working fine. If I'm correct and you don't assign a QK the scanner will scan all that you programmed.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If I'm correct and you don't assign a QK the scanner will scan all that you programmed.

Yes, mostly. There are other things that could prevent or stop "all that you programmed" from being scanned. Avoids, Service Type selection, setting the Monitor to Off for the Favorites List, etc. Also if Location Control is On may be a factor.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
OK, so I normally scan one single scanlist (Scanlist1). Normally I can toggle Scanlist 1 on/ off by pressing "1>Enter". Today, I went through the scanner's menu and turned Scanlist 1 off, and Scanlist 2 on. I was able to toggle Scanlist 2 on/off by pressing "2>Enter" when Scanlist 2 was on. This is how I believe I have it programmed, but I cannot activate Scanlist 1 or 2 when they are off.

As I am typing this, I am thinking that "maybe" each Scanlist should be turned on and then toggled on/ off as wished. I don't have my scanner right now, so I need to try it.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If you turn a Favorites List (what I think you are calling "scanlist") off via menu, then you have to turn it back on via menu.

My thinking is that Favorites Lists should be toggled via quick key - there fewer steps involved. (But if you can't remember which quick key goes to which Favorites List, then you might have to go the menu route.)

Should both (the only two) Favorites Lists be toggled off via Favorites List Quick Key (as in 1 Enter and 2 Enter), then you'll see "Nothing to Scan". (That's presuming you are scanning only Favorites Lists and not the full database too.)

You can always tell whether a Favorites List Quick Key is toggled off by looking at the top row of the display. If a FL is toggled off via quick key you'll see an asterisk (*) where the digit should be. If it is on, you'll see a number.

For example if FLQK 1 is on and FLQK 2 is off, you top row should be F0:-1*-------. (The dashes mean the given FLQK is not assigned to a Favorites List).

I apologize for so many caveats, but these scanners are complex and certain conditions impact other conditions.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
You're right with everything, including me mixing up Favorites Lists and Scanlists. :wink: I'm having a flashback from my GRE scanners.

I went back and read the OP's original question. Sorry to add confusion, I thought his issue was toggling off/on Favorites Lists Quick Keys, but now I see it's Systems and Departments w/n a FL.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
No big deal - other Uniden models used the term "Scanlist". Owing to what model scanner, fixes to issues can be different. And from time to time, someone jumps in on a thread for one model, but has a question on another without mentioning the different model.

Status
Not open for further replies.