Having problems with Pro96Com

Status
Not open for further replies.

USASA

Hi All!

As of late I have had problems with El Paso County and State DTRS in Colorado Springs, when using Pro96Com. I have a RadioShack Pro-106 feeding a Uniden BCD396XT. The computer is a Lenovo ThinkPad. I also I tried it on the Dell I7 laptop. No deference. When a freq. starts transmitting (control channels) no voice is heard , just squelch is broken, noise. That is on any of the control channels. Is this because of a change in the system? If I monitor it without using the software, Pro96Com all is fine. It is like most of the control channels no longer transmitting and those that are have a compatibility issue. Is it just me or any of you seeing it.

Al

Hi All!

As of late I have had problems with El Paso County and State DTRS in Colorado Springs, when using Pro96Com. I have a RadioShack Pro-106 feeding a Uniden BCD396XT. The computer is a Lenovo ThinkPad. I also I tried it on the Dell I7 laptop. No deference. When a freq. starts transmitting (control channels) no voice is heard , just squelch is broken, noise. That is on any of the control channels. Is this because of a change in the system? If I monitor it without using the software, Pro96Com all is fine. It is like most of the control channels no longer transmitting and those that are have a compatibility issue. Is it just me or any of you seeing it.

Al
There is a post here that co springs has switched to simulcast for 5 of the towers. Have you reprogrammed for this yet? It also will cause a lot of multipath issues making receiving a lot more difficult for the scanner user. There are a lot of tips in the forum on dealing with multipath.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

USASA

Hi Whiterabbit_Medic!

No I have not re programed. I have not gotten any information or new freqs. Where is there a listing I can go by.

Al
USASA

Hi Whiterabbit_Medic!

No I have not re programed. I have not gotten any information or new freqs. Where is there a listing I can go by.

Al
USASA
It's not in the database yet as it happened as of this week but it's posted here in the colorado discussion forum under the post simulcast coming to colorado springs. It's recent and has the info on what control channel settings are needed.

USASA

Thanks

I looked on the simulcast and found the freq. listing. 20 of the freq's are what is used. I programed the 20 into the Pro-106 and what I got was crap! The BCD536HP is still picking up the old programming. But I do feel I am missing transmissions. The 106 does a good job with the old programming.
But, you say they are changing over this week or so?

Thanks for the help I do appreciate it.

Alex
USASA

Thanks

I looked on the simulcast and found the freq. listing. 20 of the freq's are what is used. I programed the 20 into the Pro-106 and what I got was crap! The BCD536HP is still picking up the old programming. But I do feel I am missing transmissions. The 106 does a good job with the old programming.
But, you say they are changing over this week or so?

Thanks for the help I do appreciate it.

Alex
USASA
I'm not in the springs area so what I know is what was posted in that thread. I would ask those posting in that thread for anything more. Sorry good luck

mikey60

Do you have another control channel in range you can run Pro96Com on and look at the neighbor broadcasts? That might point you to the correct frequency (if it has changed).

Mike

radio

Premium Subscriber
Simulcast control channel frequency is: 853.7125.

Have not been outside the city yet for any further checking the other towers.

Spitfire said he will be submitting the new system as soon as possible.

Last edited:

USASA

Similcast in C.S.C.

Hi All!

The simulcast is killing me. Pro96Com sends squelch break and little more to the voice receiver. Running the simulcast control channel I get very broken transmissions, if at all. My BCD526HP is still programed for the non simulcast and it is still picking up most of the Colorado Springs and El Paso County. What the heck? Is this the end of scanning in El Paso County?

Al
USASA

USASA

Hi All!

Just a question, using Pro96Com with a BCD396XT for the audio receiver on a simulcast system is there any setup changes needed? Is there any tweaks that any knows of that will help?

AL
USASA

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
Turning down the squelch all the way can help a little bit in my experience, but there is no guaranteed that it will help.

The problem with current scanners is that they were never designed to properly handled simulcast sites. There is an entire wiki article dedicated to simulcast distortion and dozens of things to try out, none of which is guaranteed to fix the problem. Some of the common suggestions include attenuation, directional antenna, paperclip antenna, messing with a bunch of internal settings, moving your scanner/antenna every direction, etc.

The only thing real fix for this issue is a complete redesign of current scanners, which Uniden has claimed that they have done with their unreleased SDS100. The marketing material sounds good, but I would absolutely wait for actual customers to report on its performance before committing to any product.

radio

Premium Subscriber
I have 2 396XTs, a 996XT and a 996P2 that I am trying to iron the wrinkles of this Simulcast system.

At this point, my old 296s and 796s are working better with Simulcast than the 396s and 996s!

radio

Premium Subscriber
I am listening to Douglas Co South Simulcast. Looking at the Modulation code of CQPSK loud and clear without any issues.

Colorado Springs Simulcast has the same CQPSK modulation. Why are we having issues? Both state the same modulation.

Then you look at the other towers that are not included in the Simulcast. They state they are C4FM. I cannot get any signal from Black Forest or Templeton Gap from home. Will go out and investigate the other towers soon.

In the meantime, any clues as why those 2 "Simulcast" are the same modulation but one is fine while the other is not?.

NOTE: Noticed the Pueblo Simulcast Modulation says C4FM as well. Any known issues with the Pueblo system?

Thanks.

Last edited:

USASA

Hi All!

I don't know if anyone can answer this but here goes.
Do the respective agencies on the system have to have the individual radio's reprogrammed for the simulcast system. I thing that is a yes and that is maybe why the troubles with this new system? Once all radios are programmed things may get somewhat better. What say you? I worked (before retirement) for the city and when we re-banded all our department radios had to be reprogrammed. Just a though.

Al
USASA

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
I am listening to Douglas Co South Simulcast. Looking at the Modulation code of CQPSK loud and clear without any issues.

Colorado Springs Simulcast has the same CQPSK modulation. Why are we having issues? Both state the same modulation.

Then you look at the other towers that are not included in the Simulcast. They state they are C4FM. I cannot get any signal from Black Forest or Templeton Gap from home. Will go out and investigate the other towers soon.

In the meantime, any clues as why those 2 "Simulcast" are the same modulation but one is fine while the other is not?.

NOTE: Noticed the Pueblo Simulcast Modulation says C4FM as well. Any known issues with the Pueblo system?

Thanks.

There a bunch of factors with simulcast. Some people will receive the site better and most probably will not be able to receive it at all.

One factor is attributed to multipath. For Douglas Co South Simulcast, only a single site can be heard in the Colorado Springs area. I believe you tested this out yourself before it went online vs now. Only being able to "see" one site gives the scanner a better chance to properly decode the quadrature phase-shift keying (QPSK) modulation.

The big deal is that scanners were not designed to handle QPSK. QPSK is essentially a new form of modulation of the phase of the signal, which is different from the traditional AM and FM that scanners were designed to handle. C4FM, noting the FM at the end, is a form of FM and therefore scanners do not have many problems with it. Not being designed to handle QPSK means that they struggle with that signal type. Add multipath into the mix and the scanner now has no idea what it is doing and producing gibberish.

Templeton Gap is offline and part of the simulcast, but I chose to leave it for now in the off chance of it making a reappearance like Airport did.

The modulation for Pubelo Simulcast is not correct in the DB.

Hi All!

Is the simulcast only City of Colorado Springs or all of El Paso County?

Al
USASA

It is the combined coverage area of 6 sites:
Stanley Canyon (4-012)
Ski Summit (4-013)
Austin Bluffs (4-016)
Airport (4-017)
Templeton Gap (4-022)
Cedar Heights (4-024)

Basically all of Colorado Springs and up north to the county line.

Hi All!

I don't know if anyone can answer this but here goes.
Do the respective agencies on the system have to have the individual radio's reprogrammed for the simulcast system. I thing that is a yes and that is maybe why the troubles with this new system? Once all radios are programmed things may get somewhat better. What say you? I worked (before retirement) for the city and when we re-banded all our department radios had to be reprogrammed. Just a though.

Al
USASA

Most radios seem to already be set to handle the new system by default. Certain radios might need to be reprogrammed if they were not already enabled to handle the new modulation. They might also need to be reprogrammed to update their preferred sites, but that has no affect the new system itself.

Current scanners are just not able to handle simulcast sites correctly. The troubles you are seeing are exclusive to scanners. Actual radios do not encounter this issue. The site would have never been built in the first place if they did have this issue, let alone turned on and left on for nearly a week.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
Hi All!

Al

How come you are using Pro96Com to feed the 396XT when the scanner can scan the system by itself?

USASA

I like seeing Data

Hi ABQSCAN!

I like seeing the data and what is going on the system. You know the big picture. Old habits die hard or not at all. I have 2 computers monitoring HF (SDRPLAY) and the PRO-106/BCD396XT scanners. I also have my BCD536XT just scanning everything. Big picture kind of thing. Multi tasking at it's finest.

AL
USASA

Status
Not open for further replies.