Having trouble getting drivers installed with Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrispy

LONG time lurker, first time poster

Here's my story: I've recently got a new lap top with Windows 7. I've used Win96 with my Pro 96 with the GRAY cord GE02D8360, and the Radio Shack USB to Serial Cable part number 26-183, and Windows Vista. In the past I've used this thread http://forums.radioreference.com/ra...-shack-serial-port-adapter-vista-install.html to installed the RS cable. I used that thread to guide me through installing the RS cable with the "compatibility wizard" with Windows 7. Yes, I do realize Windows Vista and 7 are not the same, and the "wizard" works differentlly. With the RS cable installed using the wizard, I plugged the USB cable into my lap top, and eventually a "Drivers not installed" message poped up. I've uninstalled the software for the cable, then reinstalled it many times, using the wizard with options of "which operating system was it used on before" I've tryed both Windows XP service pack 2 and Vista, neither option worked.

I've seached here and found threads about a USB cord from GRE, part number 30-3290, and the USB cord from RS part number 20-047. The only difference seems to be the color, and RS wants $5 more. My question is, will these cords solve my problem, or is there another way to make my old set up work?

SCPD

QRT
If your cable is a few Years old it will not work under Win7.
I went to radio schack and got a new one and it installed fine without using the included CD.

baj76

Uniden fanboy
If your cable is a few Years old it will not work under Win7.
I went to radio schack and got a new one and it installed fine without using the included CD.

I had the same problem...

I went to RS and got me a new cable, And it installed without using the CD...

Works great now!

Chrispy

Thanks again for the replys. I've bought the cable, it installed easily, and works like a charm!

Status
Not open for further replies.