Having trouble picking up Richmond & Henrico fire at times

Status
Not open for further replies.

beachpirate2

I am having trouble picking up Richmond & Henrico fire at certain times. I pick up Chesterfield and Colonial Heights all the time and they are all on the same radio system. I was just wondering if anybody else has had this problem and if anybody knows if there any fixes for this problem. Thanks

KF4ZTO

It depends on where you are in the Richmond area. Richmond City, Chesterfield, Henrico and Colonial Heights are all on the same system, but Richmond, Chesterfield and Henrico all have their own sets of frequencies, if you're in Chesterfield County, chances are you're not hearing Richmond and Henrico units because they're mostly on their respective frequency set.

Try programming in the CCs for Chesterfield and Richmond with your TRS and you should be able to hear more units from those areas - assuming you can hear the CC well.

beachpirate2

I do have all the CC's entered and I don't seem to be having any problems picking up Richmond Police but Henrico & Richmond Fire seems to be a different story though. Thanks for the information.

jehm1212

What may be happening is that your scanner is picking up the first control channel it hears and locking onto it for the duration of your listening. To maximize the amount of talkgroups you can hear, you have a couple of options.

1. Put all talkgroups and frequencies into one system. Turn "Multi-site Stationary" on. This will ensure that your scanner samples all three control channels equally when listening.

2. Separate the systems by jurisdiction. Have one system for Richmond, one for Henrico, and one for Chesterfield. Turn Multi-site off, since each system will only have one control channel programmed.

Method 1 makes it a little easier to manage your data on the scanner and helps to reduce the chance of duplicated information, but it also means that you could be listening to more distant sites when you want to hear local traffic. Method 2 is slightly more time-consuming in the programming stage, but basically allows each talkgroup to only be linked to its "home" site in your scanner, eliminating the possibility of missing traffic.

I hope this helps.

beachpirate2

Thanks jehm1212 I think you may have solved my problem, I tried option #1 last night and it seemed to work, however I think I am going to do what what you said #2 this weekend because I think that hill me out better in my daily scanning operations. Thanks

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
I think jehm's option #2 is going to be the answer to your problem. Right now the scanner is only tracking the CC it locks on (probably the closest tower to you) and the TG's you are missing may not be affiliated with that CC at that time.

jehm1212

Your location might cause an issue with Richmond reception. Chesterfield should be fine - there is a repeater for that site in Colonial Heights. Henrico's closest transmitter is 15 miles line-of-sight from you. Richmond's closest is 17 miles. That may explain why your are picking up Henrico a little better than Richmond.

What kind of antenna setup do you have? Back-of-set? External?

jehm1212

To improve 800mHz reception, you might want to consider this RadioShack antenna, and to make it work with your scanner, don't forget a BNC elbow adapter.

You'll find that the right antenna can make all the difference in the world. The stock antennas that come with most scanners are fine for everyday wideband scanning, but to get truly good reception in any one band, you need to get an antenna tuned for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.