Hawaii County - site 10 Haleakala

Status
Not open for further replies.

scan18

Premium Subscriber
So, it's been a little over a year since this site went on-line and it still does not appear to be a full time site. Control channel is active on 154.445. There are days when I consistently hear HFD Kohala TG 6503 and HFD Dispatch 6505, but then it will go silent for a day or so. I also sporadically get HPD North Kohala 6107.

I'm guessing it's serving as a fill-in site or something and only capturing radios within range, but I don't know.

If anyone has any other insight on this new site and it's intended function and plans, please post.

WD433

Feed Provider
Feed Provider
Hey Scan18,

So I spoke with a few members from the County and they said only a handful of TGID is actually associated (or affiliated) with Haleakala Site, thus why only those TGID are heard with Haleakala Site. They also told me that radios don't automatically switch sites with strong signals (in some cases they have to manually trigger it) and why occasionally you'll hear Haleakala active.

Some agencies are in the process of updating the radio's firmware where it would fix that issue and soon hear the agencies affiliated TGID pop-up more often on Haleakala, no ETA given. They hear the site will be online full-time and should improve radio coverage mainly in North Kohala and to an extent to the valley section (Polulu to Waipio).

Hope this helps answer some questions.

On a side note (I know the other thread was locked):

I got information that a new site in Puna at PGV is coming online soon to help improve coverage in Lower Puna, looking for frequency and site info on that and will post it as soon as I see it. Ocean View site is still in the works, however, no new movement made on it or new application of license been pulled yet.

Also, sent to the administrator a handful of new TGID with descriptions for HFD, HPD, and Radio Maintenance to be added to the database based on the information given by those I talked to. Along with that is updated information on TGID tags and descriptions. Hopefully should see that very soon.

scan18

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the details! Yeah, I figured only a few Kohala TG’s would be affiliated but it was a mystery as to why the radios were not triggering the site all the time. That makes sense what you said and would explain it. It definitely seems to be a strong site and I’m sure blankets North Kohala pretty well.

WD433

Feed Provider
Feed Provider
I forgot to add this note earlier.

The other thing that I confirmed too as well with those members is the dispatching for HFD.

So there is no real set TGID for tone-outs for HFD and it's simulcast (patched) throughout all district main operation talkgroups and occasionally heard on the chopper and battalion operations TGID when patched in.

Whistlers, GRE, and Radioshack Scanners show it as 6505 (which is actually Ka'u - 1 and not HFD Dispatch) as when a tone-out is patched through (also noticed it on the TrunkRecorder and SDRTrunk software shows it), where the Uniden scanners show the main talkgroup affiliated with tower it has picked up the transmission.

I had a list of the talkgroups affiliated with each tower that they gave me and can't find it, once I do, I'll post the PDF on the thread.

scan18

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, I wish they would keep the dispatch TG separate instead of always patching it with the district TG. My G5 doesn’t distinguish between the two either, so makes it impossible if I wanted to setup alerting on only dispatch calls.

Status
Not open for further replies.