Hawaii's Kilauea Volcano Erupts Again, Sending More Lava into Communities...1 hr ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alain

iMONITOR,

Please keep us informed as to the unfolding saga occurring on the Big Island, please? I am watching the USGS site; we have a dear friend living in Pahoa...

Stay safe and be prepared!

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
iMONITOR,

Please keep us informed as to the unfolding saga occurring on the Big Island, please? I am watching the USGS site; we have a dear friend living in Pahoa...

Stay safe and be prepared!

Well I'm safe and sound here in Michigan. I just happened to run across the story at the bottom of weather.com, and posted it here for the benefit of those that monitor the area. I hope your friend as well as all the residents are ok.

I did a search and found some recent updates:

Earthquakes rattle Hawaii’s Big Island after Kilauea shoots lava, ‘dangerous’ gas into the air
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...unities/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.77b8730c049c

6.9-magnitude earthquake hits Hawaii’s Big Island, USGS says, following a recent volcanic eruption
6.9-magnitude earthquake hits Hawaii

Alain

Now Alaska Too!

Here's the link for Alaska: https://www.avo.alaska.edu/

AVO/USGS Volcanic Activity Notice

Volcano: Cleveland (VNUM #311240)

Current Volcano Alert Level: WATCH
Previous Volcano Alert Level: ADVISORY

Current Aviation Color Code: ORANGE
Previous Aviation Color Code: YELLOW

Issued: Friday, May 4, 2018, 10:20 PM AKDT
Source: Alaska Volcano Observatory
Notice Number:
Elevation: 5676 ft (1730 m)
Area: Aleutians

Volcanic Activity Summary: Local seismic and infrasound sensors recorded a small explosion tonight at 05:49 UTC (21:49 local time). A few small earthquakes were also recorded at the volcano during the previous several days. No other significant activity was detected. No volcanic cloud has been detected in satellite imagery.

Explosions from Cleveland typically produce relatively small volcanic ash clouds that dissipate within hours; however, more significant ash emissions are possible.

Cleveland volcano is monitored with a limited real-time seismic network, which inhibits AVO's ability to detect precursory unrest that may lead to an explosive eruption. Rapid detection of an ash-producing eruption may be possible using a combination of seismic, infrasound, lightning, and satellite data.

Recent Observations:
[Volcanic cloud height] None
[Other volcanic cloud information] n/a

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
The Cleveland volcano is on an uninhabited island. One million people live on Oahu. There is no comparison.

Today there are over 50 volcanos erupting across the globe.

Last edited:

scan18

Premium Subscriber
The Cleveland volcano is on an uninhabited island. One million people live on Oahu. There is no comparison.

Today there are over 50 volcanos erupting across the globe.

Oahu is not affected by the eruption, that is a different island. But your point is valid. Hawaii Island has about 190,000 people.

ipfd320

Banned
Eruption Alert for May 5, 2018 at 6:00 PM (HST)

This is a Civil Defense Update for Saturday May 5, 2018 at 6:15 PM.

Hawaiian Volcano Observatory Confirms NO NEW OUTBREAKS have Emerged and the Fissures Continue to Emit Hazardous Fumes in Leilani Subdivision at this Time.

It is Confirmed that at this Time, 5 Homes have been Destroyed.

More Info Can be Found Here

Eruption Alert for May 5, 2018 at 6:00 PM – Office of Mayor Harry Kim

DeDawg

Up tp 30 homes by now. I use a combo of HNN website and Google Earth to follow where things are erupting.

Alain

Seismic Avtivity

I've read a couple news interviews with the residents of the Leilani Estates, as well as the USGS geophysicists and volcanologists. The increasing seismicity in the area is also of great concern...today registering some high 4. and low 5. magnitude aftershocks.

The residents are not going to return to their homes. Many evacuated immediately after the fissures began to erupt. The sulfuric fumes emitted from same only add to the fear of returning... getting trapped and unable to make a hasty retreat to safety.

Here's one map: https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes/kilauea/multimedia_maps.html

Last edited:

ipfd320

Banned
Well Here is Some More Bad News--From the Civil Defense Center--This was Posted on Tuesday, May 8, 2018 at 2:30 PM.(HST)

EVACUATION - Hawaiian Volcano Observatory Confirms 2 New Vents. All Lanipuna Residents must Evacuate Now. Evacuate towards the ocean Isaac Hale Beach Park. Vent number 13 has opened near the intersection of Leilani Avenue and Kahukai Road and Vent number 14 near Kaupili St. and Leilani Avenue. Both are actively erupting.

East Rift Zone Eruption In Leilani Estates Update Can be Found Here

County of Hawaii - Civil Defense Alerts and Information

BC_Scan

Was at the site for a tourist visit and found a new repeater in use on the South side (Chain of craters) road going down to the ocean ,
169.625 Nac 526h, also for the record I found that 164.1625 was receive for Parks wide , area was on the visitor centre down to the cauldron area.
the 170 was tx as it came in on close call, and through out my hike I could hear it as the tx to repeater. What an amazing site to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.