Hawthorne PD (Passaic County)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just heard the Hawthorne dispatcher say something about a vehicle with the "old frequency" in it, and talk about getting police vehicles into the shop right away for some sort of work that needed to be done. A while ago, there was talk about them moving to NJICS. Has anyone heard anything in the past few weeks?

NParkNJ

On the Road
Haven’t been following them. Was it you or someone else that mentioned last year they were supposed to move to NJICS.

Haven’t been following them. Was it you or someone else that mentioned last year they were supposed to move to NJICS.
Someone else mentioned a possible move to NJICS in response to a thread I'd created about problems with their existing UHF repeater. The only NJICS movement in their area at this point appears to be the Passaic County Sheriff's Office, I think.

Dispatcher today on 460.1125, CTCSS 131.8, referred to a need for providing detailed information about a request for police response to the responding officer on the "operations channel." FCC ULS search is down, so I don't know if they recently received approval for another frequency, or if NJICS is in play.

An FCC ULS search reveals an active license on 45.42 MHz, which previously served as their main PD dispatch channel. The license was last renewed in 2014. Two (2) transmitter/receiver locations listed - PD HQ and a water tank at the highest location in the Borough. I have not noticed any low band whip antennas in use on police vehicles, but I do recall seeing a long antenna on a DPW vehicle. PD may be using this as a back up channel. Could have low profile radome antennas installed on police SUVs. Will look the next time I'm in their municipality. In the meantime, if anyone can listen to 45.42 and snag a CTCSS tone, that would be great. Waldwick PD uses UHF for dispatch, but has a back up channel on low band. So this would not be an unusual move.

Alarmguy

Former Alarm Guy, turned Radio guy
Premium Subscriber
An FCC ULS search reveals an active license on 45.42 MHz, which previously served as their main PD dispatch channel. The license was last renewed in 2014. Two (2) transmitter/receiver locations listed - PD HQ and a water tank at the highest location in the Borough. I have not noticed any low band whip antennas in use on police vehicles, but I do recall seeing a long antenna on a DPW vehicle. PD may be using this as a back up channel. Could have low profile radome antennas installed on police SUVs. Will look the next time I'm in their municipality. In the meantime, if anyone can listen to 45.42 and snag a CTCSS tone, that would be great. Waldwick PD uses UHF for dispatch, but has a back up channel on low band. So this would not be an unusual move.
DPW is on 45.3200 136.5 EMS pagers were on 45.4200

DPW is on 45.3200 136.5 EMS pagers were on 45.4200
EMS paging takes place on 460.1125, CTCSS 131.8. However, there may be some devices on 45.42 also. I'll start listening over there. Are you certain about 45.32? No FCC license there if they are using it. I see Rockaway, Boonton, Vernon, and Perth Amboy all licensed for it, but not Hawthorne.

NParkNJ

On the Road
Haven’t seen them active on Ramapo. I’m using ID search. But now I know for sure to keep and eye our for them. Even though my antenna is broke, I can still receive Ramapo from town.

Alarmguy

Former Alarm Guy, turned Radio guy
Premium Subscriber
I would look on West Orange Simulcast. Most likely Garret Mountain would be the primary site, as it is high above Hawthorne and next town over.

NParkNJ

On the Road
Whatever site(s) Passaic County Sheriff patrol dispatch (4401) is heard most often on would likely be the same site(s) Hawthorne would be found on.

I always get them on Ramapo. But I have found they are also on West Orange. Most likely simulcasting on both.

I know later in the night they have one of their posts up in Wanaque. So at least at night, I hear them on Ramapo.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
Looking at @GTR8000 screen shot reminds me of a recent occurrence. Set up friends new G5 recently on the locals TG. He had not listened since department left analog some years ago. He called to say perhaps I set G5 up wrong little or no activity being heard. He cried that it used to be almost non stop.

Hawthorne NJICS screenshot shows little activity over 12 hours.

I explained to the G5 user that much has changed. MDT’s are now used for large parts of the day, at times LMR is secondary for long periods. Just because you now have a TG may not mean there is much to listen to.

NParkNJ

On the Road
Looking at @GTR8000 screen shot reminds me of a recent occurrence. Set up friends new G5 recently on the locals TG. He had not listened since department left analog some years ago. He called to say perhaps I set G5 up wrong little or no activity being heard. He cried that it used to be almost non stop.

Hawthorne NJICS screenshot shows little activity over 12 hours.

I explained to the G5 user that much has changed. MDT’s are now used for large parts of the day, at times LMR is secondary for long periods. Just because you now have a TG may not mean there is much to listen to.

In addition to GTR’s comment, they may not even be fully transitioned over yet. I’d also like to think they’d be more active on Ramapo(especially in the more NW part(towards Haledon, N Haledon area).

Status
Not open for further replies.