Hayward, CA police

Status
Not open for further replies.

gadgeteck

Anybody able to monitor Hayward police? I've programmed the EBRCS system and I am able to monitor every agency on the list except Hayward with a talk group of 3255. Any info would be appreciated. I can even monitor Hayward fire with talk group of 2255. Last I knew, Fire and PD were dispatched from the police department on Winton Ave.

bharvey2

what site are you monitoring? ALCO SW?

That's probably the issue that the OP is having. I monitor using SDRs and and can view the hits per talkgroup. Hayward dispatch (3255) is routinely active.

gadgeteck

what site are you monitoring? ALCO SW?
I'm able to receive Alco Crane Ridge and Alco East. I live in Tracy. I figured since I can hear Oakland PD, Fremont, Union City, Newark, HAYWARD FIRE, Alco SO West and East that I'd hear HPD. Hayward Fire transmits from the police department and I hear them.

bharvey2

You may be hard-pressed to monitor ALCO-SW from Tracy. I live along the bay and have trouble monitoring the north end. I suspect that what you can hear is governed by how the system is EBRCS system is programmed.You may not hear any HPD traffic unless they have personnel in some of the sites closer to you.

gadgeteck

You may be hard-pressed to monitor ALCO-SW from Tracy. I live along the bay and have trouble monitoring the north end. I suspect that what you can hear is governed by how the system is EBRCS system is programmed.You may not hear any HPD traffic unless they have personnel in some of the sites closer to you.
Yeah. Like I said I can hear everything else with my Unication G5. I see the sites switching between 2 and 7. 2 is where I get Fremont, HFD etc. Think what I'll do is program a zone with only Alco SW and see if it'll lock on. I also have a directional antenna for 700-800mhz band. I don't need it with the Unication radio but maybe I'll try if I can't get Hayward just by inputing the one Alco SW site.

bharvey2

I use SDR dongles with a high gain yagi. The Yagi resolve a lot of problems with the multipath problem. It might just do the trick for you.

gadgeteck

Okay. Thank you. I have that yagi as well. It's just amazing that all other agencies use other sites but Hayward doesn't. Thanks to all that replied.

kma371

QRT
Yes, ALCO SW its next to impossible to hear from Tracy. Hearing sites 2 and 7 are pretty much all you will get unfortunately.

Just because Hayward FD and PD are dispatched out of the same building, doesn't mean their coverage areas are similar. Here's a quick down and dirty explanation, EBRCS is set up into zones for coverage. ALCO SW and ALCO E/CRANE are "neighbors" meaning they overlap coverage and sometimes transmissions are heard on both sites. This could mean a Hayward FD unit may be in the Castro Valley area or Pleasanton/Dublin area for help on a mutual aid call. Due to their location, the transmissions will be heard on both the primary site, ALCO SW and ALCO E/CRANE.

It could also mean someone (any user on the system) may be trying to monitor the Hayward FD talkgroup in the ALCO E/CRANE zone of coverage. The system knows this and activates transmissions in both the ALCO SW zone as well as ALCO E/CRANE so that radio can hear what they are trying to hear. This happens a lot when you hear Oakland PD on ALCO/E or CRANE sometimes. Someone is just trying to listen to Oakland :)

So in general, fire talkgroups are more likely to be heard on a wider coverage area than police talkgroups.

bharvey2

Haward has just recently jumped on to the EBRCS bandwagon. As I recall, first Fire went over followed by PD. It seems like it was just a year ago (I could be off a bit) that they were still dispatching on their own UHF system. It made it really handy because I could monitor them on a number of my ham radios while driving. Now I have to bring my Pro-668 if I want to hear them. Anyway, no problem gadgeteck. Since we're practically neighbors (save a hill or two) feel free to PM me if you have questions or want to compare some things. Scanning isn't the primary focus of my radio playtime but I still like to keep up on things when I can.

gadgeteck

Yes, ALCO SW its next to impossible to hear from Tracy. Hearing sites 2 and 7 are pretty much all you will get unfortunately.

Just because Hayward FD and PD are dispatched out of the same building, doesn't mean their coverage areas are similar. Here's a quick down and dirty explanation, EBRCS is set up into zones for coverage. ALCO SW and ALCO E/CRANE are "neighbors" meaning they overlap coverage and sometimes transmissions are heard on both sites. This could mean a Hayward FD unit may be in the Castro Valley area or Pleasanton/Dublin area for help on a mutual aid call. Due to their location, the transmissions will be heard on both the primary site, ALCO SW and ALCO E/CRANE.

It could also mean someone (any user on the system) may be trying to monitor the Hayward FD talkgroup in the ALCO E/CRANE zone of coverage. The system knows this and activates transmissions in both the ALCO SW zone as well as ALCO E/CRANE so that radio can hear what they are trying to hear. This happens a lot when you hear Oakland PD on ALCO/E or CRANE sometimes. Someone is just trying to listen to Oakland :)

So in general, fire talkgroups are more likely to be heard on a wider coverage area than police talkgroups.
Yes that makes sense. I did for the heck of it, try an use my yagi antenna and direct it toward Hayward. Rotating it ever so slightly for about 5 minutes. Never picked up a signal. So.... I suppose I'm stuck with monitoring everything except for Hayward Police. I suppose I'll live. LOL. Thanks for all your help and the info.

gadgeteck

Haward has just recently jumped on to the EBRCS bandwagon. As I recall, first Fire went over followed by PD. It seems like it was just a year ago (I could be off a bit) that they were still dispatching on their own UHF system. It made it really handy because I could monitor them on a number of my ham radios while driving. Now I have to bring my Pro-668 if I want to hear them. Anyway, no problem gadgeteck. Since we're practically neighbors (save a hill or two) feel free to PM me if you have questions or want to compare some things. Scanning isn't the primary focus of my radio playtime but I still like to keep up on things when I can.
Thanks for the reply and info. Yeah, I have a buddy that lives in Hayward. He can't keep up with all the technology and therefore has given up on he hobby. He misses the good old vhf days. He has some analog scanners and I had him listen for HPD on 483.1125 for about an hour. He said he never heard a peep. I haven't been to Hayward for quite a while but at one point they were using their old, old frequency occasionally. Not for dispatching, but it was being used. That is 154.890 {pink) channel if my memory serves me correctly. Well, happy monitoring.

kma371

QRT
Yes that makes sense. I did for the heck of it, try an use my yagi antenna and direct it toward Hayward. Rotating it ever so slightly for about 5 minutes. Never picked up a signal. So.... I suppose I'm stuck with monitoring everything except for Hayward Police. I suppose I'll live. LOL. Thanks for all your help and the info.

Yea everything is so directional now with these systems. VHF/UHF would travel for miles and miles. These trunked systems are directed towards their coverage area and not ours (scanner listeners). I used to hear Hayward PD quite regularly on 483.1125 out in Tracy when I lived there. Now nothing, which sucks. That's why I like to listen to obscure stuff like rail or aero.

Status
Not open for further replies.