Dispatch: "<unit> advise"
Unit: "10-4"

or

Dispatch "<unit> 10-4?"
Unit: "I hit the wrong button again, disregard"

or

Dispatch: "<unit> advise on your hit detection"

Somehow I think all these are related- dispatcher checking up on a unit based on some sort of alarm received by dispatch for that unit.

My question is- what is a hit detection?

Thanks!

cohenner5377

If I must guess... Most police radios have an emergency button that triggers an alarm in the dispatch center. This requires the dispatcher to verbally acknowledge the safety of the officer. If there is no response, the usual protocol calls for additional officers to respond to check on the welfare of the officer.

ecps92

It could also be the Dispatch is monitoring the MDC/MDT Traffic and get's notified on an NCIC Hit [Wanted/Missing etc] and is following up

I hear this while listening to the Howard County PD channels;

Dispatch: "<unit> advise"

or

Dispatch "<unit> 10-4?"
Unit: "I hit the wrong button again, disregard"

or

Dispatch: "<unit> advise on your hit detection"

Somehow I think all these are related- dispatcher checking up on a unit based on some sort of alarm received by dispatch for that unit.

My question is- what is a hit detection?

Thanks!

cohenner5377

I don't believe that would be the case - it sounds like there is an action taken by the officer in order to activate the signal. The NCIC hits would be automatically generated.

riveter

Premium Subscriber
The hit detections are almost certainly NCIC hits or plates read by the Automatic Plate Reader systems that flag as wanted/stolen/expired.

The status checks and wrong button replies, those are all accidental transmits from the radio emergency button. On trunked systems the dispatcher is obliged to have units check status and reset their radios if this happens, because a radio that keys up emergency typically gets assigned absolute priority on a dedicated frequency for the talkgroup.

Status
Not open for further replies.