HDSDR & Spyverter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mapacton

I have an Airspy & Spyverter setup. I prefer HDSDR over SDR#. Can I use my Spyverter with HDSDR, and if so, does anyone know of or care to provide a decent set of instructions for doing so. What I have been able to find so far does not help much.

Thanks

Mark

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
I have the hardware, but I use SDR# as HDSDR interface was not to my likely a few years back when I tried it. The latest ver2.76 might be much better now.

It does look like on the HDSDR website airspy is supported using an EXTIO.DLL file. Looks like a standard version of EXTIO and enhanced version is available. As I recall place that DLL in the same location as the HDSDR executable.

Another resource is rtl-sdr.com - RTL-SDR (RTL2832U) and software defined radio news and projects. Also featuring Airspy, HackRF, FCD, SDRplay and more. if you have not already found it.

There are a few tutorials generally specific to lower level hardware. From those tutorials I was able to pick and choose what might work, but in the end I found it to be trial and error.

Try it with just the Airspy to see if that works OK with HDSDR. Add the Spyverter next. I forget if it has a software selectable bypass mode and I don't recall the Spyverter's offset frequency.

Sorry, no plug and play instruction, but maybe I have given you a direction to pursue that might help.

Good Luck!
Mike

Mapacton

Hi Mike...

Thanks for the response. I was able to get the Spyverter working with HDSDR by trial and error. It's actually fairly straight forward. I've been using the Airspy with HDSDR for a while now, but just ventured into the HF realm on SDR. I think my biggest problem was having the Spyverter in front of a splitter. The Bias t voltage was either too weak or not making it through the splitter. Putting it on a switch just ahead of the Airspy seems to have fixed that. Also, there is a setting in the options menu for RF Front end config. I needed to check the up/down converter option. I will be checking out the links you posted for any tips I may have missed.

Mark

KC1GNH

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Hi Mike...

Thanks for the response. I was able to get the Spyverter working with HDSDR by trial and error. It's actually fairly straight forward. I've been using the Airspy with HDSDR for a while now, but just ventured into the HF realm on SDR. I think my biggest problem was having the Spyverter in front of a splitter. The Bias t voltage was either too weak or not making it through the splitter. Putting it on a switch just ahead of the Airspy seems to have fixed that. Also, there is a setting in the options menu for RF Front end config. I needed to check the up/down converter option. I will be checking out the links you posted for any tips I may have missed.

Mark

KC1GNH

Mark,
The recommended connection is with barrel connector between the two. I purchased the combo set and it came with two barrel connectors and a 3 inch male sma to sma cable. I use the cable to avoid the hard connection between the two boxes.

Yes, splitter was interfering in some way. Shorting the DC to ground via an inductor or a cap blocking DC between the two RF connectors.

I am not sure if turning off the Bias-T puts the spyverter in by-pass and if not the switch allows easy configuration change.

I hope it is working well for you now.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.