• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

HDT on Jaguar

Status
Not open for further replies.
HDT stands for Hex Debugging Terminal - it's used by the software developers that write the radio code. If you were to connect the radio to a PC using (say) Hyperterminal at 19.2k and a programming cable you'd be able to play with various features.

It DOES allow you to screw the radio up VERY badly tho, so be careful :)

rmiles

HDT stands for Hex Debugging Terminal - it's used by the software developers that write the radio code. If you were to connect the radio to a PC using (say) Hyperterminal at 19.2k and a programming cable you'd be able to play with various features.

Any pointers on commands? I hook up my P7100 @ 8-N-1 & 19.2K. and Hyperterminal displayed;

HDT Hex Debugging Tool v1.05

VHF high power portable
Host code J2R10B-5
Built at 09:03:07 on 07/20/06
C54 DSP F4R06D09
Dog bites 1
Logging enabled buffer size 00004000

I assume the time and date shown are the build date of the flash code. I can already get this information in the revisions menu. So what other information can this yield? When I tried typing in commands, no keystroke would register in the Hyperteminal window.

Well, for a start all characters are echoed back - and there's an asterisk as a prompt. From there you might try a ? and return :)

rmiles

Well, for a start all characters are echoed back - and there's an asterisk as a prompt. From there you might try a ? and return :)

I got the asterisk prompt, but when I type, nothing is echoed back. I went into properties and tuned on "Echo Typed Characters Locally" under the ASCII setup menu. Now the ? is echoed, but still it will not respond to return.

Last edited:

bezking

That command echos the command on the client side, so you will have ANY input echoed back to you even if the server did not echo it.

rmiles

That command echos the command on the client side, so you will have ANY input echoed back to you even if the server did not echo it.

OK, thanks! Either the standard Hyperterminal options are not compatible with the HDT, or it just does not work.

HarrisRF

a TQ3370 programming box is required for this to work. The debugging tool can be used to test your CC messages and give you a success rate percentage. If you can get that far and have an edacs system to test then try these commands:

ew _ccmar_test_duration 3c
then
run _ccmar_test

(3c is the length of the test in HEX)

rmiles

Kewl. I have the TQ-3370 and an EDACS system so I'll try that out. Thanks!

So it won't work with an original M/A-Com RIBLESS programming/keyloader cable?

I've got a TQ3370 (about six of them, actually) but only have one RIB-based cable for these radios. I guess
I'll have to make up another one.

Elroy

It'll work with the programming cable but not the keyloader, unless you use the FCC menu to turn it on. Oh, and it's on by default unless you have the radio programmed for data.

rmiles

I finally got some time to try this out. It did not work. Mobile data was off, HDT was on via the FCC menu, but it also responded without enabling it via the FCC menu. When I typed ? I got a list of help items. When I ran the commands below, I got the following responce;

a TQ3370 programming box is required for this to work. The debugging tool can be used to test your CC messages and give you a success rate percentage. If you can get that far and have an edacs system to test then try these commands:

ew _ccmar_test_duration 3c
?Sym not fnd

then
run _ccmar_test
(3c is the length of the test in HEX)
?Unknown cmd

I tried changing a few thing, I tried using an underscore between duration and the test length, but nothing seems to work. I kept getting the same response. I was using my OEM M/A-Com TQ3370 and OEM cable with and without power supplied. The control channel was reading a RSSI of 88, so the signal should have been sufficient. Any ideas? I think this could prove a very useful tool if used properly.

HarrisRF

I was once given 2 sets of commands to try. The first set worked so thats what I posted. Try This:
• Baud Rate – 19200
• Data Bits – 8
• Parity – None
• Stop Bits – 1
• Flow Control – None

Commands:

"ew a762 3c"

"run 5d6ac"

FYI:
The first command is what you use to set the length of the test. The test duration command requires you to enter in the time in seconds and that the value be in HEX (ex. 60 seconds ew _ccamr_test_duration 3c). The second command is the actual start test command. When the test has been started successfully the radio will return the following line:
Ret=00000BEC, time=XXXXXXXX, total=XXXXXXXX.

The BEC in the return line shows that the test was successful in starting. If the BEC is not returned the test was not successfully started. On a successful test at the end of the test period the radio will return the percentage of correctly decoded control channel messages. This value will be returned in decimal (ex. 990 is 99.0%)!
Narrow Band Note: If you are running your test in a narrow band configuration the percentage returned needs to be doubled.

rmiles

I used those parameters, but had flow control set to hardware. I have to run out now, but I'll try this again tonight. It is a narrowband system so that's for including that tidbit.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
You know what I'm thinking? The appropriate commands could be used to flip a few bits in a working
radio to enable it to "hear" an ESK'ed control channel.

What would be the appropriate commands and addresses to make that happen? :D

Elroy

You know what I'm thinking? The appropriate commands could be used to flip a few bits in a working
radio to enable it to "hear" an ESK'ed control channel.

What would be the appropriate commands and addresses to make that happen? :D

Elroy

Nah, sorry and all that but ESK is coded in the flash :)

You CAN get a copy of the modem data from it however.....

The command "sym *" should get it to list out all the symbols it knows about. "?" is a help command, and lists SOME of the commands. If it's a later radio there are a LOT of commands - for example, the command "proscan" will dump a BUNCH of information about adjacent sites....

If the radio code has been read out of one radio and written back, the symbol information will have been lost. That's one of the differences between a .bin file and a .biz file (along with compression).

BTW, the same settings work for 7200 and 5400, as well as M7100, 725M and so on.
Enid

rmiles

I was once given 2 sets of commands to try. The first set worked so thats what I posted. Try This:
• Baud Rate – 19200
• Data Bits – 8
• Parity – None
• Stop Bits – 1
• Flow Control – None

Commands:

"ew a762 3c"

"run 5d6ac"

It took the first command fine, then when I typed the second, and hit enter, in the presents of the CC, the radio simply rebooted and then functioned normally. I never got any test data. In the absents of the CC, Hyperterminal seem to just wait for a CC. The radio only rebooted when it was in range of the CC.

Status
Not open for further replies.