Headed to Asheville with SDS100

Status
Not open for further replies.

whooey

I am headed to Asheville soon, bringing my SDS100, what do you recommend I load into it? County systems, state systems? I like to monitor LEA/EMS/FIRE. Thank you in advance. :)

trumpetman

Database Admin
The database is updated and mostly accurate so I would look at that page (some of the VHF stuff is no longer in use, I need to purge that info eventually). Buncombe County has a 700 MHz P25 system where the sheriff is encrypted but EMS & county fire operations are in the clear. City of Asheville has an 800 MHz P25 system where routine fire and police operations are in the clear but special ops are encrypted. VIPER is the statewide radio system. I would browse the system database page and see what state agencies are of interest. It wouldn't hurt to have the Buncombe County VIPER TGs loaded for backup purposes, the local medical helicopter (MAMA) is dispatched on VIPER, and Highway Patrol, DOT IMAP, etc are on VIPER full time.

Not sure what part of Asheville you're going to be in but for the other counties around too you'll be mostly in the clear. Henderson county is on a trunked VHF NXDN system with full encryption so you won't be able to hear anything there besides the initial dispatch for fire. Transylvania, Madison, and McDowell are mostly VHF currently and moving towards VIPER, Haywood is mostly UHF analog. The other departments Trumpetman mentioned will get you some good listening if you stick in their talkgroups too.

TylerMK

Premium Subscriber
Let us know if you hear any traffic on the recently added Great Smoky Mountains National Park VIPER talkgroups.

shinkley

Listen More
Premium Subscriber
Took my BCD436 and visited Asheville area a few weeks ago. Picked up some traffic in Ashville City Fire, Highway Patrol traffic on Viper in Asheville. Vancy County SO/Fire is still on analog.

Picked up NCHP and Wildlife Services on Viper (Woody's Knob Site). Read much info on locking out other sites so vipers simulcast would not lock up or the scanner would think its encrypted and cause a error. Later read that West NC Viper does not have a Simulcast System yet. Also does anyone know location of Woody's Knob site?

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber

shinkley

Listen More
Premium Subscriber
Got it. Thank you. It's at the highest point (4,170 feet) in the village of Little Switzerland in Mitchel County.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
@trumpetman, are IMAP no longer using the City of Ashville P25 TG's? They were using both VIPER and CoATRS last I knew.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
IMAP is dispatched on VIPER but they do carry a second portable on the Asheville system to monitor and occasionally talk to APD.
Ah okay,.. they do still use the TG they have then. Just wanted to make sure I didn't need to pull them out of the scanner on my trip in October.

108312a4fDNCDOT Safety PatHighway Safety Patrol

Status
Not open for further replies.