Headed to St. Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.

PAscannernut

I am flying to St. Thomas and have BC396XT radio and would like to take it on vacation with me. Has anyone had any problems taking a portable scanner through the airport? I wouldn't think it would be a problem if it gets checked in, but never took my scanner on a trip. I have ARCXT software to get all st. Thomas frequencies, but if anyone has any tips of other frequencies or things to listen to while I am there I would appreciate it.

W2SJW

Database Admin
Never had a problem taking my Pro-96 at the time to St. John on my honeymoon in 2001, nor to any other place including multiple trips to AZ & Las Vegas, along with Alaska & Vancouver BC in 2009.

I always put stuff like that in my carry-on. I remember hearing what sounded like the emergency services on St. John in the 160 MHz range...

skip39

most of the public safety frequencies in the us virgin island use the 160mhz ranges,
another things is the police and fire might be on a trunked system?
ryan

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
I've never had a problem taking a scanner on vacation and on an airplane. I either check it or take it carry on. I unscrew the attenna from a hand held as it seems to attarct less interest. Have good batteries in it in case you need to power it up.
All the US Virgin Islands were a great place to monitor when I was there many years ago.

PAscannernut

St. Thomas police freq

I was able to gather some frequencies for St. Thomas through the ARCXT software using the radioreference to gather those frequencies. However I did not see anything for police on there. I do have the 396xt so I have close call and can search but has anyone tuned into the police freqs in St. Thomas or know where to get them? Thanks

jimlawrence

I had no trouble going in or out of St. Thomas with several scanners in my carry-on last September. U.S. Customs on the way out didn't care a bit about them at all. Same thing for TSA.

Have a great trip!

Status
Not open for further replies.