Heading to Virginia Beach for EASTER and wanna use GPS ON BCD996XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScanMaine

Premium Subscriber
What is your thoughts anyone.. I have been told you still have to program the scanner is that true. Or can I just drive from state to state and it will automatically pick it up?????

frazpo

What is your thoughts anyone.. I have been told you still have to program the scanner is that true. Or can I just drive from state to state and it will automatically pick it up?????

NO. You will need to indicate your range of GPS coverage and enable it to use GPS in the programming software.
It does take some patience to setup but once its done it works smoothly.

Attachments

• gps.JPG
    gps.JPG
    9.2 KB · Views: 250

ScanMaine

Premium Subscriber
right so I have to preprogram all the state police freqs from state to state and then it will pick it up

frazpo

right so I have to preprogram all the state police freqs from state to state and then it will pick it up

Yes. They will need programmed as if you are NOT using GPS. The GPS, when enabled and connected, will simply lock and unlock as you travel within the preset range. The photo is a clip of the setting in FreeScan.

frazpo

My second sentence reads weird. I am just saying that the sites and systems need programmed no matter what. Whether your GPS scanning or not.

frazpo

10-4 I guess.. I need to find some true research on the gps and have had no luck

The easy to read guide explains it well enough.

Easier to Read BCD996XT Digital Scanner Manual gps

Its really simple. Program your scanner with the sites you will be passing through.
Enable the functions in the software. (Enable and range setting)
Connect GPS with correct settings
Make sure the quick keys you want to scan are enabled as you drive.
The scanner will lock and unlock as you drive.

Good luck.

JamesO

Garmin GPS18(X) "SERIAL" is a decent choice if you can find a Serial and nut a USB version.

Can be had on ebay for around $30-$40 if you luck out. None show up now for that price, but I have found them for around this price.

Again, be CAREFUL, there is a USB and Serial model, you want the Serial model.

Status
Not open for further replies.