Headphone Issue Qustion...Repaired Unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dewey

Just received a 536 yesterday evening. I purposely waited for the repaired unit to arrive at the resellers before buying, and did my due diligence on ensuring that I was getting a repaired unit and not an unrepaired unit that was sitting on a shelf. After all of this, I just tested my headphone jack, and question the status of the repair. I understand that the "issue" was noise on the headphone jack, but I am not sure if what I am experiencing is the issue, or just an over expectation. Bottom line is that I have noise that sounds like a dead AM signal or hiss on my headphone jack. I have to turn the volume to more than 7 before I start to hear anything over the hiss, and even then, the hiss can still be heard in the background. I am also getting this hiss with each and every key press, even while navigating the menus. Does this sound like the pre-repair headphone jack problem? I'm pretty sure that the unit has really been through the repair process since it has a sticker below the FCC sticker that reads "One year warranty". Also if it makes a difference, the box had a very small green dot sticker on one of the ends, but that could have very well been done by the reseller for something like inventory control. I know it's not a headphone issue because I can get a clean signal with no hiss when using the same headphones on the 436, even with the volume at 1.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Dewey,
What is the serial number of that unit. That does not sound like a repaired unit to me. Also, those who are participating in the exchange program are receiving 3-year warranties. The [possible serial numbers affected, accordind to UPMan (Paul Opitz) of Uniden , range from 1 to 2600 (last 4 numbers). Regardless, what your describing with the headphone jack does not sound right. I had hiss on the two 536HPs I bought together with low headphone output. I shipped them back to Uniden yesterday on their exchange campaign program. What your describing sounds even worse.
You might want to see what others have to say about this.
Steve AA6IO

Dewey

Thanks Steve. The serial number is definitely in the affected range... in fact IIRC, Paul has already said that no units over 2600 have been released yet (again, going on memory of previous threads). The reason I mentioned the "One year warranty" sticker is because I would think that the sticker is proof that the unit has been back through quality control. Rhetorically, why would the sticker be necessary for a brand out of the factory unit? As mentioned, the hiss is certainly a problem, I'm just trying to figure out if it is part of the original problem, or I have something more going on??? Thanks again.

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
Sounds exactly like the problem units. You should hear nothing except voices when units are transmitting. My 436 is dead quiet on the headphone jack during transmissions except for the people talking.

derevs

Dewey
I would return the unit to the place where you purchased it. All defective units were supposed to be returned by the resellers to Uniden. You obviously did not purchase it from a licensed reseller.

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
[i go in TONITE and test the other 536 we got.Paul said that the one year sticker is wrong from uniden it should be 3 years.the sticker tells uniden it is a repaired scanner.

QUOTE=Dewey;2144271]Just received a 536 yesterday evening. I purposely waited for the repaired unit to arrive at the resellers before buying, and did my due diligence on ensuring that I was getting a repaired unit and not an unrepaired unit that was sitting on a shelf. After all of this, I just tested my headphone jack, and question the status of the repair. I understand that the "issue" was noise on the headphone jack, but I am not sure if what I am experiencing is the issue, or just an over expectation. Bottom line is that I have noise that sounds like a dead AM signal or hiss on my headphone jack. I have to turn the volume to more than 7 before I start to hear anything over the hiss, and even then, the hiss can still be heard in the background. I am also getting this hiss with each and every key press, even while navigating the menus. Does this sound like the pre-repair headphone jack problem? I'm pretty sure that the unit has really been through the repair process since it has a sticker below the FCC sticker that reads "One year warranty". Also if it makes a difference, the box had a very small green dot sticker on one of the ends, but that could have very well been done by the reseller for something like inventory control. I know it's not a headphone issue because I can get a clean signal with no hiss when using the same headphones on the 436, even with the volume at 1.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
i am a real dealer believe me and many of you know me ,MONDAY I will get to the bottom of Dewey's issue.
i will test our stock tonite and i will post findings tonite.

the scanner he got was a repaired unit from uniden to my wholesaler.

Dewey i get with you monday.

Jeff

QUOTE=derevs;2144351]Dewey
I would return the unit to the place where you purchased it. All defective units were supposed to be returned by the resellers to Uniden. You obviously did not purchase it from a licensed reseller.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Dewey

Have you updated the Firmware on it and see if it still occurs?

Yes, since I just received the unit yesterday, it has the firmware just released. Unfortunately, this means that I don't have any experience with the previous firmware to make a comparison.

Sounds exactly like the problem units. You should hear nothing except voices when units are transmitting. My 436 is dead quiet on the headphone jack during transmissions except for the people talking.

Thanks, and this is the exact experience with my 436.

Dewey
I would return the unit to the place where you purchased it. All defective units were supposed to be returned by the resellers to Uniden. You obviously did not purchase it from a licensed reseller.

While I appreciate your attempting to help, NOTHING could be farther from the truth. I have a lot of confidence in my reseller which is why I'm not posting the source. Sure I can send it back to the reseller, but I'm thinking that this is a unit that has been back through Uniden, which means either I have another problem, or they didn't do the repair.

Dewey

i am a real dealer believe me and many of you know me MONDAY I will get to the bottom of Dewey's issue.

the scanner he got was a repaired unit from uniden to my wholesaler.
i will check our stock sunday am to see if it has same issue.

Dewey i get with you monday.

Jeff

Believe me Jeff, I understand!!! I'm not trying to throw anyone under the bus. What I think I have is a unit that is supposed to have been repaired[b/] (my reason for mentioning the sticker), but wasn't. And in case anyone is thinking of attacking Paul about the potential lack of repair, I know you are not going to tell me that he personally repaired all the units.

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
No not sure who in TX did the repairs.But i will find out tonite if my stock still have the issue,I post tonite

dewey i may have read your post wrong that scanner you received did not have latest firmware.
cause i shipped it before firmware was released.
don't think it has anything to do with hardware jack issue.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Yes, since I just received the unit yesterday, it has the firmware just released. Unfortunately, this means that I don't have any experience with the previous firmware to make a comparison.
Double check you have the current Firmware. 1.03.03
As it just got released yesterday,

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
Dewey and all 536 Fixed

I just checked a couple 536 just received from Wholesaler.I am please to say they have fixed the noise issue.

Dewey let me get with Paul on monday to see best way to get you taken care of.

I feel bad you waited for the FIXED scanners to ship and you get one that appears wasn't.
Again I am sorry.

Paul and i will work out the details to get you u a good scanner.
Thanks

Jeff

SCPD

QRT
dewey i may have read your post wrong that scanner you received did not have latest firmware.
cause i shipped it before firmware was released.

After re-reading this post I think all he needs to do is to update the Firmware as he is under the Impression he has the latest Firmware.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Firmware won't help. Dewey: You'll have a replacement from me on Tuesday with a return shipping label so that we can tear down that unit to see what happened. Jeff: Email me his address.

Dewey

Firmware won't help. Dewey: You'll have a replacement from me on Tuesday with a return shipping label so that we can tear down that unit to see what happened. Jeff: Email me his address.

Thanks Jeff and Paul. Will turn the unit I have around as soon as I get the label.

Rumpaltin

Grand Master
HEadphone Jack issue

Since it seems this is the right thread for this question.

Does anyone know if this jack issue is just with the headphone jack or does this also affect the EXT Speaker jack? I have not been able to test this on my own time as I still need to pick up and EXT speaker for the unit. All my others are tied up on the mobile two-ways and not easy to get to.

I'm pretty sure the unit I have did not make it back for the fix however if it only affects the headphone jack I'm not too worried as I most likely will never use it.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.